Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

WEP probelms

• Please log in to reply

JulietP

JulietP

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Today I upgraded my firmware for a Linksys WRT54GS. Now my WEP passphrase has only generated one Key. I had tried to change our security to WPA-Personal, but my boyfriend's laptop could not connect (it would just keep trying over and over), so I went back to WEP (not th emost secure, but at least it allowed him to get online). After powering-up his laptop this evening, now he gets a "limited or no connectivity" warning and cannot go online.

Does the fact that only one key gets generated have anything to do with this? When I first switched back to WEP his laptop had connected right away, it wasn't until he started it up again a couple of hours later that this problem started. His IP address is set to acquie automatically, but it is unable to generate an IP when I try to repair the connection.

Any help is appreciated.

Also, I tried to do a recommeded ipconfig/release and renew, and I get a message that the media is disconnected?? The laptop is always wireless, and has not been connected to anything. What does this mean?

Advertisements

3quilibrium

3quilibrium

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
JulietP,

What operating system ins your boyfriend's laptop currently running. Have you tried deleting the wireless profile that was saved and then just tried searching for your wireless network again and then enter the appropriate WEP key?

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Get yourself a USB key.
Surf to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
(Yes, it's a secure page)
In the third box down (63 random alpha-numeric characters), copy the entire key to Notepad. Save this file as wpa_key.txt and have a copy on the USB drive.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. Enter the password, which is probably 'admin', unless it's been changed.
Under the Wireless tab, Security mode, choose WPA2 Personal. Under that choose AES. Under Shared key, paste the key you've saved to wpa_key.txt. Change the SSID to something you'll recognize, but not your address and not your name. Let's call the SSID "3quilibrium", for example.

Save your changes.

Now, take the USB key to each wireless laptop, and try connecting to 3quilibrium. It will prompt you for the key. Simply copy and paste, then click on Connect. It should work As Seen on TV.

JulietP

JulietP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

JulietP,

What operating system ins your boyfriend's laptop currently running. Have you tried deleting the wireless profile that was saved and then just tried searching for your wireless network again and then enter the appropriate WEP key?

We are both running XP home ed.

JulietP

JulietP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Get yourself a USB key.
Surf to https://www.grc.com/passwords.htm
(Yes, it's a secure page)
In the third box down (63 random alpha-numeric characters), copy the entire key to Notepad. Save this file as wpa_key.txt and have a copy on the USB drive.

Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser. Enter the password, which is probably 'admin', unless it's been changed.
Under the Wireless tab, Security mode, choose WPA2 Personal. Under that choose AES. Under Shared key, paste the key you've saved to wpa_key.txt. Change the SSID to something you'll recognize, but not your address and not your name. Let's call the SSID "3quilibrium", for example.

Save your changes.

Now, take the USB key to each wireless laptop, and try connecting to 3quilibrium. It will prompt you for the key. Simply copy and paste, then click on Connect. It should work As Seen on TV.

Would this work for WPA Personal? I have an iPod Touch and I am told it will not work with WPA2.

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Yes, it will work for WPA Personal.

JulietP

JulietP

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
OMG! DaffyKantReed you rock! I am so happy right now I can't thank you enough! I have bookmarked that password generator page....that is really cool.

Thanks again!!

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
You're welcome Juliet. I'm glad to hear your network is secure and running as it should. Well done, JulietP.