Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow browser problems

• Please log in to reply

imlac

imlac

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I was infected by a virus which used the filename ave.exe. To get rid of it I ran software that fixed my registry settings. Now there's no evidence of any virus. All scans with AVG and spybot show up no problems.

However I am left with a problem with all my browsers: IE, Firefox, Chrome. I have broadband and other browsers on other PCs on the LAN using the same internet connection have no problems. I have 25gb free space on the PC. I also have programs which send information through the connection and they run fine on the problem PC. Typically it will just hang and at the bottom there's a message that says "Waiting for xxxx" where xxxx is the website I'm trying to load. With Firefox for example my homepage is Yahoo. When I start it up I see "Waiting for uk.yahoo.com" in the bottom left grey area, and the tab has the words "Loading" and a little circle going round. Nothing happens. I can leave it and come back 20 mins later and it still says "Loading" and shows a blank page. If I now choose yahoo from my bookmarks it loads the page pretty quickly, although the circle thing still goes round next to the Yahoo tab title and there's a message in the bottom left grey area that says "Waiting for xxxx" where xxxx is something like ads.yimg.com. If I try other pages, again they are very slow loading and often never load, with the "Waiting for" message displaying again. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Firefox. I'm running v 3.6.3. I've tried disabling all add-ons, but that doesn't solve the problem. I use no extensions. I've tried opening it in safe mode, but have the same problem. I've tried creating a new profile. Anybody have any ideas?

Advertisements

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
It would help to know what software you used to fix your registry settings that you believe cured your malware issue. You are saying, just for clarification, that you have a working internet connection, just that the browsers aren't working properly?
Johanna

imlac

imlac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
The tool I used was the MalFakeAV-BW-Malware_Repair tool from Virus-experts. Other PCs can access the same internet connection fine with no delays whatsoever in Firefox/Chrome/IE. I just tried replacing the Hosts file on the problem PC, but without any success.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
I was also facing the same problem. I turned off antivirus software, messed with proxies, spybot and formatting the computer. In the end, I tried a new ethernet card installed new drivers and now I get fast browsing. I analyse that my inbuilt ethernet card was damaged.

imlac

imlac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
One of the things I just tried was uninstalling AVG and installing Avast instead. It seems to have worked! Firefox opens almost instantaneously like it used to. Other browsers seem to be OK as well. I'd disabled the AVG scan extension already, so I don't know why it was causing a problem.

CarolClark

CarolClark

• Pip
  • 3 posts
First of all try to update your browser version as well as deleting cookies, Temp files as well may be your all browser will be working fine.