Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Riser Card

• Please log in to reply

Dude45342

Dude45342

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a question about a PCI riser card.

My 9800 GTX that I recently bought is not fitting into its slot -- a cord is in the way of pushing it down further. And so I'm planning on buying a PCI riser card to rise it up a bit so that the cord doesn't get in the way. Here's the riser card: http://www.logicsupp...cts/pcie_100_16

My only concern is about the graphics card somehow being too heavy for the riser card and breaking it. Does anybody think this would ever happen, or could it hold it just fine?

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Well it looks like the riser card you linked to just rises the card straight up (some tilt the card a 90 degree angle). Part of a graphics card install is having it screwed to the PCI Brackets, this would prevent the card from swaying left or right and hold it completely straight up like it's supposed to be. So I don't see a problem in my opinion.

What cord is in the way? I would probably buy an extension for that particular cord before I'd buy a riser card. See what I mean? What kinda of cable is it?

Dude45342

Dude45342

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Well it looks like the riser card you linked to just rises the card straight up (some tilt the card a 90 degree angle). Part of a graphics card install is having it screwed to the PCI Brackets, this would prevent the card from swaying left or right and hold it completely straight up like it's supposed to be. So I don't see a problem in my opinion.

What cord is in the way? I would probably buy an extension for that particular cord before I'd buy a riser card. See what I mean? What kinda of cable is it?

it's a cord for a serial port i do believe. It's actually the plastic part at the end of the cord getting in the way so i doubt a new cord would do any difference

The problem is the cord is under the graphics card or where the graphics card to so i can't push the graphics card all the way in

Sorry for the poor grammar i'm using a speech to text app on my android

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
Ohhhh, I see. Well like I said, that riser card should be fine. The graphics card will be standing straight up and screwed into the PCI Brackets, so that should be just fine.