Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Many vertical lines appear on my display

• Please log in to reply

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
No things are still the same :) it went to a black screen for phoenix bios etc. Said loaded defaults. Shoot! :)

Anything else? Also I have a few questions about replacing my mobo.

I asked an IT manager for my moms company (hes the only guy) and he said if I'm replacing my mobo with the exact same one and using my processor, it could possible just start up and wont have to do anything. Assuming I connect the mobo right. And if it doesnt work I just reinstall windows? Is there anything else I should do before the replacement? Thanks for your help!!

Justin

Edited by happy raver, 17 April 2010 - 03:22 PM.

Advertisements

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Its a long shot but you never know, if you are looking at replacing your MB (if all else fails)
I would back up all important files & do a fresh install of the OS 1st, if only to make sure you
have tried all your options before spending anymore cash.
You are possibly right about the underpowered psu having an affect on the MB over the years but
even this is speculative, have you tried selecting the optimum performance settings & saving it
in your bios? this can cause system instability in some systems though so isn`t always recommended
by the MB manufacterer.

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Well my pc didnt come with a windows xp (PRO) media center CD... Since It didnt come with one can't i download MCE 2005 online? I have the serial on my PC that will work for activation. I looked and found a few , they looked legit but I wouldn't know if they work.. I put some files like homework and my wireless card drivers and such on a usb storage device, are there any important things I should put on there like drivers or anything? I dont have anything that important as far as pics, files, docs. I lost the install disk for my wireless pci g adapter so that's cool. :)

So I probably cant use my linksys wireless g adapter if I do a clean reinstall of windows... Is there a setup installer i can download from linksys?? I have not because I cannot read it... its extra blurry on the boot up screens and bios is bad.. Where can I find these settings for performance and such?? I can only make out some of it.

Man, I just wish my pc wasn't junky trash to begin with and I wouldnt be having these problems. But I want to fix it... OH YAH I FORGOT TO MENTION!!! I can almost light a cigarette on the actual chip that says "ATI RADEON XPRESS 200" on my mobo. I touched it by accident then noticed it and touched it for longer... It burnt me it was so flippin hot. I noticed on some other mobo's there were heat sinks on the ATI chip. But I dont understand how or what caused this, I dont think it should be that hot lol.

Edited by happy raver, 18 April 2010 - 04:19 PM.

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Without knowing what temp the onboard gfx chip is running at its hard to say that this is not the problem,different chips will run at higher temps than others, how many case fans do you have?
As your system hasn`t always had the present issues maybe it is general usage that is starting to
have an affect, after all nothing lasts for ever, but hey we are not beat yet.
Taking the side of the case & pointing a portable fan in should bring the temps down & see if that
helps at all, if not we can look at backing up important files, drivers etc, have a look at the
link below, it explains some options you can use if heat is the problem,
http://www.tomshardw...iew-1762-6.html

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Ok well cooling down my pc isn't going to fix my display because whatever happened, already happened. Ill point a portable fan into my case and see though. Theres actually a neat program on my PC under system recovery in start> all programs. It has every driver that came stock on my PC. It had option to make a cd so I did, I think it also put the applications that came on my pc too :) I thought it it was to make a recovery cd at first but idk..

I got a cpu fan, psu fan, and a fan in the back of the case. Im all for the general usage thing, this pc has more hours than any other pc i bet. I spent alot of my life on this pc, since 2005. Well Runner as you already know, I am looking at the mobo that the guy sent me on my other post, its cheaper than replacing my stock mobo, and i can upgrade the cpu to the amd II athlon x2 240 regor which is only $57. I mean, my pc deserves a new mobo since its obviously been pushed past its limits for years and finally gave out a little. What do you think about the GIGABYTE GA-MA78LM-S2H 760gb mobo? With the cpu listed above? I am concerned about compatibility. THANKS!

happy raver

happy raver

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Phillpower2??? Well can you walk me through what I (or you) would do before a mobo change (not replacement)? Here's the mobo I want. http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128408 and the AMD II x2 athlon regor http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103688

Doubt the cpu matters but ya. Ty

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,749 posts
Good motherboard & the cpu seems to work well with it, I would recommend
reading the tutorial by Troy How to build your own computer in the
System building & upgrading section you will feel more confident.
I will be happy to help should you require assisstance, but I dont think
you will need it after reading the above, some tips I can offer include:
1: Make sure all your components are compatible ram & add on cards etc
2: Have the correct tools & thermal paste (if required) heat sink may have
a thermal pad fitted
3: Use containers for keeping different types of screws in
4: Take digital photographs of the setup inside the case before you remove
anything, this helps in the event of a problem should you have to rebuild
your old system
5: Make notes of the various MB connections & their orientation, this should
include the power & reset switches, power & HD leds & case speaker etc
6: Fit the cpu, heatsink & fan into the MB before fitting the board into the case
7: Take anti static precautions throughout the removal & installation
8: Back up all important files (just in case)
Good luck & let us know if you require any assisstance