Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Monitors - HDMI vs LED

• Please log in to reply

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yeah, on further investigation it appears to be quite hard to find any reviews or detailed information on the V2210, whereas the G2222HDL has a lot of good reviews (a couple sites gave it their "Best Buy" award) and is quite a bit cheaper.

I can't see myself using HDMI or HDCP very much at all since I don't watch much tv, I don't own a blu-ray player and don't play console games. The only time I watch movies is at the cinema, or on my PC.

With that in mind it would be kinda redundant forking out the extra cash to get HDMI and HDCP, wouldn't it? I was just told I should always keep up with the latest techonology, and HDMI certainly is becoming the standard, but maybe for me I don't need it.

My vid card is an XFX 5770 with dual DVI so no probs there :)

Advertisements

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP

My vid card is an XFX 5770 with dual DVI so no probs there

That's good. But if me, and I were shopping for a new monitor, I would not get one unless it did support HDMI. That way - just to ensure it will support me further down the road.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Yeah but the more I think about it the more I wonder how much I'd use it. I pretty much never watch tv or movies at home, and all my gaming is on my pc these days even though my flatmates have a 360 and PS3, I've never played them. My old flatmates had a Wii and I played that maybe a dozen times at most for the whole year.

I see your point about HDMI though, and it is a good one.

Jaekus

Jaekus

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts
Just to conclude, I ended up not going with the LED option and instead got a good Samsung monitor, due to their reputation.

The model is a P2350, it's quite large (23") and has no dead pixels.

Loving it. Thanks for your advice everyone, I'm really happy with my choice :)

Digerati

Digerati

Grumpy Ol' MSgt (Ret.)

• Retired Staff
  • 3,999 posts
  • MVP
Excellent! I am glad you are happy with your selection. And yes, Samsungs are hard to beat. I have two 22" on this system, a nice 24" on another, and several older 17" and 19" on older systems. No dead pixels on any of the them.

Thanks for the followup.