Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Problem installing Service Pack 2

• Please log in to reply

mrblue

mrblue

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Hi there

My girlfriend's son has a HP 6820s laptop running Vista Home Premium 32 bit 1GB Ram and 100GB drive. He's only 13, and its running very, very, very slowly and window pop-ups keep coming up. He uses it for msn, facebook, limewire etc etc. It seems to load dozens of programs on start-up.

So, I've spent the weekend trying to clean it up and speed it up. It seems a little quicker after a defrag etc. He's using IE7, which seems very slow.

It says I should install Service Pack 2, and I've tried this 3 times, but each time it fails because it needs to not have any programs running, but says that "ccc.exe" is running. It reverses the installation.

So, at this stage it's running a little better, but still has pop-ups and I can't install SP2. I will recommend he uses Firefox, which should solve the pop-up problem.

I installed and ran Avast anti-virus which found 2 viruses and deleted them.

How do I install SP2?

Thanks

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Installing Vista SP2 is a good idea, but first you need to make sure the machine is free of spyware, malware, etc., which I suspect it is not.

Start here and post your logs to the appropriate section of the forum if required.
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Once everything else is sorted, please post back here if you still can not upgrade to Vista SP2.

mrblue

mrblue

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
Interim update:

MBAM found 77 items and deleted them all successfully.

I still think the pop-ups are there though. I used Task Manager to stop "ccc.exe", although it appears to be a legitimate program. I then tried to install SP2 again. There was no error message this time, but it still said that it could not complete the installation and would reverse the changes. (I really hate Vista!)

I will post further updates later, as the laptop somehow causes a conflict with the kids Playstation and Xbox, and they can't play their online game "Call of Duty" when the laptop is switched on. There seems to be some kind of conflict with the router/broadband. However, the conflict does not occur with two other computers that are XP, only with the HP running Vista!!

Thanks for your help so far, I will post further once they've gone to bed and finished their game!!

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
mrblue-

CCC.exe is a legitimate program. You can find more information on it here. :)

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
As said before....

I suggest that you start a new topic in the Malware Removal and Spyware Removal area.

Before you start a new topic click on this link --> Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide, Please read before starting a new topic. This will give you a few preparations to make, as well as instruction for posting your OTListIt2 log.

If you are still having problems after being given a clean bill of health from the malware expert, then please return to THIS thread and we will pursue other options to help you solve your current problem(s).