Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer hangup

• Please log in to reply

RONAVISH

RONAVISH

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My wife has a Gateway computer with Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 and all of a sudden the cursor just froze,no matter how much you moved the mouse.She had to reboot her computer and after about 10-15 minutes it did it again so, I looked at it and tried to use her Operating System Disk to re-install her os BUT,it too quit working after about 10-15 minutes and I made sure that I had went into the BIOS to make sure it booted from the CD Drive first before the Hard Drive and I even checked the temp of her CPU'S and ect. At first I thought maybe her hard drive was fried so I bought her a new one and put it in and ran her restore disk (operating system disk)as it will format the hard drive BUT,again it stopped.I am at wits end on this computer and really need some help or suggestions here.I was thinking maybe the CPU'S are fried or maybe it is the motherboard, it has a ANTHALON 64 DUAL CORE PROCESSOR. Please Help! :)

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Laptop or Desktop?
When was the last time you opened it if it is a desktop and used a can of compressed air to blow out the dust?
If never then you need to open the system and with system open turn the power on. Are the fans on the cpu and the PSU turning when turned on?
Do any of them turn off right away or run for a minute and then turn off?
I suspect overheating and one of the two fans will most likely be the culprit.