Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help please

• Please log in to reply

Arminius

Arminius

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My Brother and I each have a computer hardwired to the westell 327w router/modem from verizon. The two computers are right next to each other. Specifically, we are trying to play a game called starfleet command 3 on dynaverse. Whenever we try try to connect to the dynaverse part we get a message saying we have differnt internal and external ip addresses. Now to get around this we have benn enabling the static nat device on our router, once one is on, the other has to enable the static nat for himself. (Constantly switching the static nat). This lets us get on a server and play/connect with other players, but not each other. So I guess the main question I am asking is how do we get the two computers to connect and be compatible?

Also when we play any game on game spy arcade, it shows both computers as hosts. (Thought that might be useful info). Once again we hardwired directly to the dsl 327w modem/router, nothing else. Both computers running on xp home edition. Both running 1 gig of ram, 256 radeon 9600 agp video cards, Amd athlon 2800+. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
Hello Arminius,
Unfortunately, whilst each computer can have it's own Local IP Address, ie: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.1.2, the External IP Address (the IP that is passed onto the Web) will be the same for both computers. Therefore, when on applications like Online Games, the Game Server will see you and your brother as the same person, so it will think you're trying to connect with yourself, which it will not allow you to do. You may be able to contact your ISP and purchase a second IP Address, but I'm not sure; it all depends on your ISP and how much you're willing to pay.

Arminius

Arminius

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
hi