Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Vista WEIRD restart issue.

• Please log in to reply

Jack Hoff

Jack Hoff

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hello, I am not a computer illiterate person. Meaning I do not ask where to power it on, or why my Windows Vista keeps restarting with the update 3/3 0% error. Out of 2 years with this computer, this is my first time actually needing help.

I run a Windows Vista, 3GB Ram, 2.0Ghz Duo Core intel centrino.
220gb hard disk, 512mb ATI Radeon HD.

Here's the story:

I was on my computer (not the internet) and I decided to check my video settings for ATI Radeon. I was comparing texture quality when the computer restarted itself. It did this as much as it wanted. So I turned it off for a few hours, turned it back on and it worked fine. For a few hours. Then it restarted itself AGAIN.

If I let it keep restarting it will keep going in a continuous loop. It isn't a boot error, since I CAN get logged on, presuming I allow the computer to rest for a few hours.

Some possibilities I think it may be:
-Something stored in my 3gb of RAM that only gets run into once in a blue moon, but once it gets triggered
it'll restart the computer, and since that was the las,t freshest thing in the RAM, it'll keep restarting. Much quicker than the first time.
-Hard Drive is starting to die off? Unlikely but...

-Well, it can't be overheating because:
1) I use speedfan to check my temperatures.
2)I clean out my ventilation system once every 4 months

Times it'll restart:

Really it restarts based on when it feels like it. Sometimes it'll restart at the log in screen, sometimes it'll restart just as you get to the BIOS menu. Sometimes it'll restart while loading the log in menu.

Advertisements

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi,
Have you tried to do a windows repair? The sad thing is there are quite a number of issues that could cause the restarts

Jack Hoff

Jack Hoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I've successfully set my computer back to it's settings like 2 months ago (before this ever began) so we'll see how it goes. I'll comment again if the computer restarts itself.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Could be a Windows update that went screwy. If it happens again, copy down all the KB numbers installed from the restore point on. Also, any significant system changes, program installs, etc.

Jack Hoff

Jack Hoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Yeah uhh it restarted itself again. I think it may be the GPU overheating, or possible dust...can't see how, since my laptop is pretty much dust-free, and the fan's running fine...

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
Is the computer just shutting off and turning on again or does it say Windows is shutting down and do a clean reboot?

Jack Hoff

Jack Hoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
No, it reboots instantly. At the moment it is causing various errors, such as asking to perform a disk check (which it cannot do since it shuts itself off too soon now) and it no longer restarts itself. Also, when I attempt to start windows normally, it will run only so far, and end up in a black screen which doesn't change. And strange enough, the computer doesn't shut down when it's in the state of "trying" to boot up normally. In reality the hard drive isn't even doing ANY work at ALL in this state, and aside from the computer being on and functioning, it is doing nothing.

Sourcer

Sourcer

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
I also come across the same problems at my work, so my trick is to eliminated theories one by one,
First repair windows, if that still doesnt do the trick then I swap out the power supply, if still that aint the case, the my concentration is on the mother board.

I am really hoping that someone has some idea, as this is time consuming

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

No, it reboots instantly. At the moment it is causing various errors, such as asking to perform a disk check (which it cannot do since it shuts itself off too soon now) and it no longer restarts itself. Also, when I attempt to start windows normally, it will run only so far, and end up in a black screen which doesn't change. And strange enough, the computer doesn't shut down when it's in the state of "trying" to boot up normally. In reality the hard drive isn't even doing ANY work at ALL in this state, and aside from the computer being on and functioning, it is doing nothing.

So you dont see the "Windows is shutting down screen" then? If that is the case, its probably an overheating issue. Try running something like Speedfan and post your results so that can be eliminated as the issue.

Jack Hoff

Jack Hoff

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Currently I cannot get to the log in menu, let alone start speed fan.
Whether I enter BIOS, Start Menu, Normal Login, or "Launch Startup Repair", or Safe Mode, or anything, it will shut down before (Or shortly after) I access any of those. I cannot even change my boot order so I could start the computer off of a backup CD. :)

My laptop is not overheating, I know this because:
1)It's a laptop, easy to feel if it's hot (without casing, or with)
2)Fan isn't running faster than usual, or bursts of speed.
3)Hot air is not coming out of the ventilation system
4)I've super cooled my laptop and run it then, it still had the same boot issue.

Edited by Jack Hoff, 19 April 2010 - 01:25 PM.