Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

hard drive as slave

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i have a old hard drive and i have an enclosure that i have bought so i am wondering how to set it up as a slave drive?

what wires do i jump?

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
With the greatest of respect it is hardly worth the effort it is a 12 year old drive with a capacity of 4.32 Gigabytes

A brand new 160Gb hard drive can now be bought for under £35.00, and about the same for a 250Gb.
If you are thinking of using it as a backup drive 4Gb is useless and if you are using it as a spare storage drive it is also not worthwhile.

Using it in an enclosure follow this

http://blogs.techrep...m/howdoi/?p=194

Please come back if any problems. Pls take my advice the one are thinking of using is not worth the effort of setting it up.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2010 - 01:21 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i do understand but i just put one just like this in my old compaq and that is what i am on now.

this old hard drive i just wanted to see if i could get some old pictures off of it.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Plug the drive in and see what happens.
You really only have 3 choices....no jumper(device 0), jumpered as device 1, or as cable select.
I would probably try with no jumper 1st.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i did this with no jumper but it did not work so i was wanting to set it up as a slave drive but i do not have a jumper nor do i know how to set it up as a slave

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Had you have said you wanted to copy some material OFF the drive, I would of course have replied differently.
I, perhaps by mistake, gained the impression that you were intending to use the drive as an external drive for storage or backup.
The jumper position is shown on the picture thumbnail you attached.
I think it is most unlikely this drive, at this age, will work, if the enclosure is ONLY USB powered.
A way round this, knowing now that you just want to take some items off the drive, is providing the computer is not a laptop, put the drive in the computer, you will more than likely have a spare IDE connector on the IDE cable to the existing HDD and a spare power connector.
However, attempting to ensure that best advice is given, my advice is DO NOT attempt it, we all have to learn but it is probably best not to try this if you have to ask in the first place.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 05 April 2010 - 02:23 PM.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
i dont have a desk top to do this with just a notebook and a hard drive enclosure.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Read the link I sent on Hard drive as an external drive.
If you do not have the jumper, perhaps someone you know has one, or a computer shop will probably give it to you they are really only a connector between two pins.
If you cannot get the drive to be seen, then either the drive is bad or the jumper selection is incorrect.
There is NO OTHER way around this problem.
Sorry but neither I or anyone else can help futher.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Travelstar/ Hitachi jumper settings

Travelstar_Drive_Jumpers.jpg