Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Microsoft work or works

• Please log in to reply

40vern

40vern

• PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
my old Compaq that i have been working on well i just realized that i do not have work or works after installing hard drive and Windows xp

so how can i get word?

but i don't want a big program that has 99% of junk that i will never want to use.

all i want to do is have the program with templates so i can print letters and lables and some simple letters.

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Abiword
http://www.abisource.com/download/

OpenOffice.org 3
http://www.openoffice.org/

Of the two, Abiword is more basic and very light on resources.

Just remember to save as "Microsoft Word (.doc)", or else others will not be able to open documents sent from you.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
I second the abiword referal, small, uses very little resourses.

40vern

40vern

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 436 posts
THANKS for the help. i downloaded the second of the two. i think that i will like it allot. looks like i have to go on line to get the templates i want to use. i think that this is good. that way i only get what i want to use,

a little confused how do i save as Microsoft word if i don't have it on my notebook? just wondering

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
Choose File|Save As|'Microsoft Word (.doc). When you save in .doc format, all versions of Microsoft Office can open your file, as well as AbiWord and OpenOffice.