Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

cat sitting on laptop

• Please log in to reply

sassyjuneau

sassyjuneau

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Just got a pc and my cat will stand on it once in a while even if I just walk away for a minute. Putting the laptop away every time I walk away is not practical. Will a cat (a little one, not a big one) hurt my laptop. I know there are a lot of cat lovers out there who totally understand computer vs. cat problems. Please, no mouse jokes!

Advertisements

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Put the laptop up, it may not be practical to you in your thinking to put it up everytime you walk away from it, but if you are asking this question, it must be in the back of your mind that it is not smart. If you want the laptop to last, put it up, get a cover for it, and use it if you walk away from it, and do not let the cat on it. I`m a cat lover, so no he hates cats jokes. The cat will add heat if the laptop is left on, and more important to me would be "static electricity"/"cat hair" which can, and will be pulled into the fans of the laptop, thus limiting the cooling capacity of the fans over time, thus limiting the lifespan of the components, and the laptop. Now on the other hand if you don`t care about your laptop, or how long it will last do as you wish. On the other hand, the two cats I have tow the line here at my house, and they know the limits I have set for them, and at the same time I let them know that I love them, but they have limits.

Edited by Mikeme, 05 April 2010 - 06:15 PM.

sassyjuneau

sassyjuneau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you so much. I was mainly concern about the weight of the cat but I think make a better case about the static,heat and hair. You are right I want to keep this computer around for a long time (it took me 5 years to get it). The cats are still kittens so I should be more strict with before they get too many bad habits.

Mikeme

Mikeme

• PipPip
  • 48 posts
Cats are very intelligent, start them out on the right track when they are young, both the cats and you will be happier as they get older.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you've got a maine coon, you shouldn't have to worry too much about the weight. the heat and the fur is another story, if the laptop is on it will suck in all the fur that they shed and the cat's body heat will serve to warm your laptop exponentially (like running the laptop wrapped in a blanket). outside of those issues you have to be concerned about your cats accidentally sending emails, deleting files etc..

sassyjuneau

sassyjuneau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thank you again, I do worry about them sending emails like catmatch.com looking for boyfriends or spamming dogs.