Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Nvidia Geforce 4 Ti 4400

• Please log in to reply

Revis

Revis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I uninstalled my old drivers for my GF3 ti 200. Shut the computer down, swapped the cards over. When i turned the PC back on the fans on the graphics card were squeeling at me, but i left it to see if it would clear, i.e dust was in it or whatever. I installed the correct drivers and everything form the Nvidia Website. I then restarted the computer. it loaded up fine. I took the card out and gave the fans a blast with the oxygen computer cleaner can stuff, put the card back in and the fans no longer squeeled at me, but i got about 5 beeps from the computer and the screen didn't come on the monitor, so i turned it off and tried again. Kept doing the same thing. So i left it for a while, came back tried it again and there was no more beeping, the screen came on but it was a mess of colour. Ive not seen this happen before. I know my bios settings are correct and the correct drivers are installed, but i keep getting this mess of colours on the screen. i honestly don't know what to do now. Ive even ordered HL2 ready for when i put this card in and im gutted i can't get it to work. Help!!

Advertisements

Hemal

Hemal

Founding Fart

• Technician
  • 1,470 posts
did u check your cables to make sure they are installed properly and that you didnt get anything out of its place when you opened it up- have you tried your older card back in?

Revis

Revis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Cables are fine, didn't pull anything out. Ive got my old card in now and its working fine. But i really want the GF4 in as this card is rubbish in comparison. All the fans are working on the GF4 too, so no overheating. It just really strange that i would get beeping and nothing on the monitor, then it changed to having a display on the monitor but just messy colours and no beeping at all. :tazz:

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
you may have damaged the gold plating on the card-try to geet an exchange.

Nixx

audioboy

audioboy

• PipPipPip
  • 857 posts
I suspect you may have caused a short on the card...the canned air, uh, can cause condensation, mostly if its blasted continuously. the set of beeps may have been an error code saying it didnt see the video card. you let the card sit for a while, it dried out, and started working again...kinda.
the mess of colors you describe makes it sound like the card may have taken damage of some sort, like if part of it was moist when you first powered it up.
you just bought it, so yeah, take it back, tell 'em you loaded it up, the fans whined, its screwed up with the colors , but not about the air.
their cost to fix it in the factory will probably be about $2, but they would charge you a lot more.

Revis

Revis

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
right, cheers for the replies guys. I bought this card off ebay, so im pretty much screwed then. Im going to try it in my girlfriends PC and if it doesn't work then ill know its definetly the card thats broke. Hope not though, just got HL2 through the post today :tazz:

nixx

nixx

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts
get on from newegg and NEVER get any system hardware from ebay-only accesories like fans, lights, and some pci cards.
this is the one i use-top of the line for cheap:
agp
Nvidia 6600 agp
pci-e
Nvidia 6600 pci-e
:tazz:

Nixx