Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Freeze?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
In other words if your system has more then one memory module installed try taking one module out and running the system with just memory module. This will cause you to only have half the amount of memory and the system to respond a bit slower. This is for testing purposes.
With you have 512 megs of memory your memory is in the configuration of 2x256 megs memory modules.
So the instructions would mean you remove one 256 module and try the system to see if it freezes with the one module. If not then remove that module and replace it with the other module and test the system.
I myself personally don't think it is a memory issue but the lack of memory you have.
I would skip part A and just download and burn the program as instructed and run it with both modules as it is now.

Advertisements

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey hey, I think i may have some good news. I caught up with a friend and was telling him about my comp prob. He informed me that a mate of his had the same prob and that i should check my virtual memory settings. Apparently his mate started off by setting both numbers the same then kept increasing the latter every couple of hours to see how things were going. It sorted his freeze problem.

I figured we were running out of things to try so i gave it a go. For most of the morn i kept increasing the latter number and kept tabs on how things were running.
I've gotta say when i got it to the setting i have now...NO FREEZE. It's been going ok all afternoon. It's evening now and still no freeze. :) Fingers crossed.

Is it possible that - that was all it was causing the prob. Well, I guess it must have been because everything seems to be running smoothly.

I'll keep tabs on it for another day and get back to you as to it's health.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Virtual memory is directly affected by the amount of total ram memory you have installed.
By increasing the ram memory the virtual memory will increase also and thus stop the freezing.
By manually increasing the virtual memory you have in effect put a bandage on the issue but also have proven the theory that the issue is related tot he lack of memory total in the system.
Good detective work on your part. :) :) :)

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
HEY HEY GUYS...HAPPY TO REPORT THAT THE FREEZE PROBLEM NO LONGER EXISTS..
:) :) :)

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOU HELP BUT I THINK WE CAN CLOSE TOPIC, UNLESS THERE IS SOMETHING ELSE YOU WANT ME TO DO.

ME...WHO'S A HAPPY GIRL THEN...LOL.. :)

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Did you manually change the virtual memory settings to correct the issue or did you add more memory?

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
HEY HEY,

I WENT INTO VIRTUAL MEMORY SETTINGS AND CHECKED THE NUMBERS IT WAS SET TO. THE FIRST NUMBER WAS LOW(ACCORDING TO MY MATE) SO I UPPED IT FROM 500+ TO 700+. THEN I CHANGED THE BOTTOM NUMBER TO MATCH THE TOP AND STARTED RAISING THE BOTTOM (EVERY COUPLE OF HRS) FROM THERE. TILL IT GOT TO A POINT THAT THERE WAS NO FREEZE.

MY ONLY QUERY IN ALL THIS IS WHEN I ORIGINALLY CHECKED THE BOTTOM NUMBER IT WAS SET TO OVER 3000. NOT SURE HOW IT GOT TO THAT AS I HAVE NEVER TOUCHED IT = EVER.
ANOTHER QUERY TOO WOULD BE - WHY ALL OF A SUDDEN DID IT START HAPPENING. IF I HAD D/LOADED SOMETHING BIG THAT TOOK UP LOTS OF SPACE I COULD UNDERSTAND. ALL THIS STARTED WHEN THAT BUGGY UPDATE FROM AVAST CAME THROUGH. PRIOR TO THAT ALL WAS OK AS FAR AS SPACE/ VIRTUAL MEMORY.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
As more Autoruns start and msconfig startups running the amount of available free memory decreases.
This is a normal occurence with systems with 512 megs of memory or less.
By manually adjusting the virtual memory settings you have put a band aid on the issue. The only true resolution is to increase the amount of actual ram memory installed in your system. As I explained in post 46 the breakdown of your memory.

Edited by rshaffer61, 15 April 2010 - 08:39 PM.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I've had this comp for a long time and it has served me well. With all the viruses, trojans, etc it's a wonder it's still going. Every thing i have learnt about comps has been through this one. Maybe i just need to put her out to pasture and invest in something a little better and bigger.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Considering you just finished with malware removal I would hope you don't have another active infection.
If the system is running ok now then I would say it will buy you some time till you get more memory.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
OH OH, DO YOU THINK I MAY STILL HAVE SOMETHING HIDDEN ON MY COMP?

"I would hope you don't have another active infection"

Advertisements

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Nope unless you did some downloading of programs or something in between solving your malware infection and now.
I believe your issue is the lack of memory total.

AQUA258

AQUA258

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey Thank so much for all the help.

Not sure which way to go at the moment but if i get more ram i'm sure you guys will help me install...lol..lol

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts

Hey Thank so much for all the help.

Not sure which way to go at the moment but if i get more ram i'm sure you guys will help me install...lol..lol

Yep not a problem helping you with that. :)