Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

1066 RAM in a 800 MoBo?

• Please log in to reply

Neo31801

Neo31801

• PipPip
  • 46 posts
Totally full of questions this week as I prepare for a future upgrade extravaganza

moneys tight so I'm picking up parts when I can but heres what I'm looking at

right now I have mixed speed ram 2x1g ddr2 800 mhz and 2x1g ddr2 667... probably not good

anyways I've been checking out the OCZ SLI-Ready Edition RAM DDR2 1066 MHz (plan on going sli 8800 GTS with Windows 7 64 bit)

however I can not afford the mobo I'm looking at yet so heres my question(s) ....

Can I use this 1066mhz ram in my MCP61PM-HM MoBo that supports DDR2 memory DIMM frequencies of 800/667/533/400? Will it lower the mhz to 800? Is it safe to use until I get my new mobo? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It will probably just run at the 800mhz speed. What is the make and model of the computer? When I search for the motherboard model number you give it's a HP. HP what?

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
its a mobo from an HP A6200n
sorry about that

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
It's ok, no big deal.

As quoted from Crucial.com when I find the a6200n with their guide/tool...

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDR2 memory with support for DDR2 PC2-6400,DDR2 PC2-8500,DDR2 PC2-5300 speeds.

According to this, it may even support the 1066mhz speed, but if not, it will just run at the 800mhz speed. FYI... PC2-6400 = 800mhz, and PC2-8500 = 1066mhz speeds.

On HP's website for that motherboard it lists only up to 800mhz in the specification.

Is it safe to use until I get my new mobo?

Perfectly safe. There is no guarantee that the mobo will agree with the new RAM, but this is in just about every case unless the RAM is clearly listed on the motherboards Memory Support List. Usually this is only provided for custom boards, not OEM boards like yours though. And is often lacking a lot of compatible memory because there are sooo many kinds.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 05 April 2010 - 05:52 PM.

Neo31801

Neo31801

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
thats all i needed to know...you are becoming my new best friend lol thanks!

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts

you are becoming my new best friend

:) Well, I'm glad to help anytime. Thanks for the kind comments.