Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

messed up?

• Please log in to reply

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Is it asking for the cd? If so then you will have to borrow a XP of the same type you have installed Home, Media or Pro and then redo the scan.
If not there is another option we could try so let me know if you can borrow one.

Advertisements

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Most everyone I know has gone on to Vista... and yes its asking for the disk

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK let's try a experiment. Reboot and go into Safe Mode with Networking.
Once there try using internet then and let me know if the issue is still happening.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Did not connect in safe mode?
`could not detect network cards` and for O.E. could not connect to host`

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
OK that maybe on to something. In Safe Mode the system loads Generic Drivers and if it is not detecting the network then your network card may be failing. This would answer why the pages don't load all the time.
Let's look at it in Normal mode again and this time do the following.

Please Go to
1: STARTand the click on RUN
2: Type in devmgmt.msc
3: Click Enter

To do a screenshot please have click on your Print Screen on your keyboard. It is normally the key above your number pad between the F12 key and the Scroll Lock key
Now go to Start and then to All Programs
Scroll to Accessories and then click on Paint
In the Empty White Area click and hold the CTRL key and then click the V
Go to the File option at the top and click on Save as
Save as file type JPEG and save it to your Desktop

Attach it to your next reply

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Hello.....it seems that my son decided to do a restore on the computer while I was out..in all fairness tho we did discuss this past weekend, I didn`t think he would do it without my OK(my wife OKed it)..if it is the HD or network card(I burned one out already) I`m sure it will show now.
I don`t know what to say but I want to thank you for all your help

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Please let me know as it always is nice to know good or bad if we were on the right track with the issue.
It also may help someone later who might have the same issue.
Thank you for allowing me to assist you and for your patience through all this.

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
Well things are going....good....but he still has to return and load up the saved files, then we`ll know for sure..as for our being on the right track?..well I`m so illiterate I didnt know which way we were going..but I figured all was good as long as I learned something

dumbum

dumbum

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 72 posts
hi...well looks like the rest of my files wont be loaded till the weekend ..so in the meantime I`ve been reading up and trying to find out what I might of done to cause the problems I had.
1st off..I was using the registry cleaner willy nilly on CCleaner...a no no for those like me..another problem was using possibly running more antispyware than I should of.
Anyways this is what I`m doing now..please feel free to advise me
Spyareblaster
Malwarebytes
Avast free edition
TFC
anything else I should consider, and are the first 2 on the list a concern? I don`t want a repeat.
Everything is running well now with like new speed...I`ll be reading more as time allows.
Thanks for assisting me

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Your combination is good as each does a different job and checks for different problems.
A registry cleaner will not increase your system's speed or performance, and has the potential to break your registry to the point that your PC is no longer bootable.
We strongly advise that people stay away from any of the registry cleaners out there.
Go HERE to get more information about why registry cleaners aren't needed.

Thanks to Sari for the explanation

A lot of the techs advise using CCleaner but not the registry part. I myself do not use it at all.

Advertisements