Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cannot access any programs

• Please log in to reply

revenger

revenger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am running windows xp on a gateway. When I start the computer it starts as normal. It shows the desktop icons and when I try to go to any of the programs they act like they are going to start up but than everything just freezes. The cursor will not move and I cannot access anything. (Now I know why its called a cursor)

I have tried to open in safe mode and it just keeps taking me back to safe mode with all the same options. I tried opening in last known working configs and the same thing happens.

I was running the avast spyware program or whatever it is called, last night and when I came to get on today this is the problems it was giving me. Before starting a new topic, I searched thru past topics and cannot find an answer.

What would be my next step?

Advertisements

revenger

revenger

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
If I hurried I was able to get to the system restore point thru start...than locks up again after I click next after choosing a date....