Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer starts then starts to run and then restarts and repeats

• Please log in to reply

paulbentley84

paulbentley84

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me. I am running Windows 2000 on a PC.

The PC turns on as normal and both fans run. The computer starts up normally until the page with the Windows logo and the loading bar. The bar goes all the way across but instead of then going to the normal 'press ctrl, alt, delete' to log on page it reboots the machine and goes through the whole process again. I have left it for over an hour and it just sits and does this repeatedly.

I can get the computer into dos(?) and tell it to reboot in safe mode etc although this has not helped and it just goes through the same process again and again.

I've tried cleaning both the fans/indie the machine, removing and reattaching the RAM and have checked all the connections are plugged in.

I'm now stumped as to what the problem is or how I might go about solving it.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Paul

Advertisements

paulbentley84

paulbentley84

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

Anyone able to help me with this one?

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go here to bootdisk.com and get the W2K Pro

The W2K Pro disks are zipped images from the MS CD. Best bet is to download them, upzip them to a new folder where you also put makeboot.exe and makebt32.exe into and then run one of the makeboot utils depending on if you're in dos or windows to create the diskset. Or, one can use Winimage to just create a single bootdisk.