Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Thank you so much for the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide

• Please log in to reply

ArielCH

ArielCH

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi, just wanted to say thank you thank you thank you for this brilliant guide! :) After spending the whole day panicking and struggling with different apps, and thoroughly torturing myself and my laptop, I finally seem to have got it fixed!! Yay!

I'm really not sure what I had, but my laptop just went gaga. It started with my IE click clacking all by itself, million random sites started popping up, very suspicious & scary warning msgs came up,and, to top it all off, the touchpad went to sleep. I've tried Spybot and it seemed to suggest I had Win32agent, coolwwwsearch.. etc etc (I really don't know what I'm talking about here tho)

Anyways, I'm so glad I found this amazing site. I've only completed TFC, ERUNT, & Malwarebytes steps, and all seems good. (I'd read some posts on the forum before arriving at the guide and thus was bracing myself for a long logging & analysis process.. :) phew!)

Thank you geekstogo! You guys are the best! :)

Advertisements

ecomguy

ecomguy

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I'd like to add a word of thanks for this software cleaning guide. Even though I did AV and Anti-Spyware scans once per week, my XP SP2 system started locking up every time I left it unattended for about 20 minutes or more. When it wasn't locked up the performance had become sluggish, especially with some browsers such as Firefox and IE7. I went through steps 1-3 and suddenly my system gives performance that's just as snappy as the day I pulled it out of the box 2 1/2 years ago. I also haven't seen any more locking up behavior, no matter how long I leave the PC unattended.

Thanks for a very useful guide.

BTW, for those who find these comments before the guide itself, here is the URL:
http://www.geekstogo...uide-t2852.html

Edited by ecomguy, 25 May 2010 - 08:32 PM.

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,640 posts
awesome, thanks for the kind words and we are glad you got sorted. Stick around and enjoy the forums. :)

dclisset

dclisset

• Pip
  • 1 posts
:) The Malware fix worked great and the combofix got the internet working again, too. Thanks so much. Your instructions indicate not to run more than one antivirus program. Is the Malware an antivirus, and would it conflict with Avast?

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
If you are referring to MalwareBytes Anti-Malware ( MBAM ), it wont conflict with Avast