Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Another Computer.

• Please log in to reply

jim7872

jim7872

• Pip
  • 2 posts
First of all, I'm almost completely computer illiterate, so bear with me. Here's my situation. I'm moving into my girlfriend's condo. She already has a computer in her living room (she goes through Time Warner Cable.) We want to add my computer in her bedroom. I understand the best way to go about this is to use a wireless router, as there are no cable jacks in that bedroom. I know how to install the router in the system she already has. What do I need to add to the computer in the bedroom to make it work? It's an older model, so do I need to connect a USB wireless adapter to it? What else may be involved?

Thanks for any and all help.

Jim7872

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If your current laptop does not have wireless capability, a wireless USB adapter is perfect. Make sure to install the correct drivers for your OS.

Follow these instructions to setup WPA2 security:
http://www.geekstogo...s...t&p=1799686

jim7872

jim7872

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Oops! I should have added that my computer is a desktop-- not a laptop or notebook. Does that make any difference? Also, will I still need a modem for the computer going into the bedroom?

Jim7872

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
You could use a USB adapter with your desktop. You can also use a PCI wireless card which fits inside the computer.

http://ncix.com/prod...anufacture=ASUS

You will not need another cable modem; just a wireless router and a wireless adapter for your PC.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
Just to make sure we are all on the same page....
The router will need wireless capability.

And as DaffyKantReed has stated you can use a wireless USB adapter or a wireless PCI card.
The card would be installed in the computer and the USB would be in 1 of the USB slots.
If you are short on USB slots, I would go with the card (make sure you have a slot available in the computer).