The purpose of this guide is to teach you how to repair "c:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt" by using the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows.
- Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows
- Your Windows XP CD
You will be building the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows which at first glance may seem like a very daunting task. At first glance, the instructions provided on the UBCD4Win.com site may seem very complicated and you may want to give up but if you go through the steps and follow them from top to bottom you will have a very good tool to keep at your side.
- You will first go to UBCD4WIN. Click on the "CNET Download.com" link and click on "Download Now". You will want to temporarily disable your antivirus program during the download. For an explanation why please click here. Once this file is downloaded to your computer, please go here for the instructions on building the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows.
- Now that you have the file downloaded and you have read through the instructions and built your Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows, you are ready to fix your registry problems. Insert your newly created Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows into your cd/dvd drive and set your computer to boot from the cd/dvd drive. Upon booting from the Ultimate Boot CD you will be presented with a menu and the option "Launch the Ultimate Boot CD for Windows" will be highlighted.
- You can press enter to start the boot process or wait 30 seconds and the cd will automatically launch. Startup looks very similar to installing Windows XP.
- Don't panic, you will soon be presented with a normal Windows XP boot screen.
- After a short time, you will see this screen.
- You do not have to pick anything here. Just wait and you will be asked if you want to enable networking.
- Click no and you will now see this screen.
- Now click on Start, Programs, Registry Tools, then Registry Restore Wizard.
- The Registry Restore Wizard will start.
- Click on next and you should now see "Specify your Windows".
- Click next and you will be presented with multiple restore points. Select the next to the last restore point and click next.
- The Registry Restore Wizard will ask you "are you sure you want to restore the current registry with the Restore Point". Click Next. The wizard will restore all portions of your registry and also make a backup of your existing registry as you can see here.
- Click Finish. You will now be back to the original desktop.
- Click on Start then Turn Off Computer. You will now be asked if you want to shutdown, restart, shutdown/eject, restart/eject or shutdown/eject all. Select Restart/Eject. This will restart your computer and eject the Ultimate Boot CD 4 Windows from your cd/dvd drive. Remove the disk and allow your computer to reboot.
- If everything went properly using the Registry Restore Wizard and the restore point was not corrupted, your computer will boot up normally and you should now be able to use your computer normally once again. If for some reason you once again receive the error message "c:\windows\system32\config\system missing or corrupt" go back to step 3 and pick another restore point one step earlier than you originally picked.