Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Microphone Not Working

• Please log in to reply

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi, first of all, i didn't know where to post this topic so Mods, please move to correct category if wrong.

I've bought a headset with a microphone, plugged it into my onboard HD sound, and the mic got detected, but nothing else than scratch could be heard. So i thought it might be the OS. I changed back to Windows XP Pro SP3. Downloaded drivers, still same problem.
I then figured i might have to get a internal soundcard instead of onboard. So i bought a soundcard, installed drivers for it, and guess what. It's still a scratch. I've also tried turning up the volume, and adding mic. boost.

So now, im desperate in need of help.

So i beg to this community. Please help me with my problem.

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Make sure you plug the mic into the correct jack

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Make sure you plug the mic into the correct jack

I did, i tried both line in and mic. And on my soundcard, theres only 1 for input. Mic/Line In.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Next to the clock there is a symbol of a speaker double click on it and it will open up the Volume control
Make sure that you can see the slider of the microphone if not then go to properties choose the sound card the the mic is connected to and at the bottom check the Microphone and Ok.
now make sure the slider is up and the mute on the bottom next to the slider is off

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Vally, i have already tried those steps.
And still nothing.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Does the headset have a volume control that may do something?
Have you checked the headset and mic on a different computer?

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yes i have tried connecting the headset to another computer and it works just fine.

Could i simply be that my mainboard is broken??

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Do you have a different microphone to check out and see if the microphone jack works?
What sound card did you buy?

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
yea i tried that too, X-Fi Xtreme Fidelity Model No. SB04790 or something like that.

I did download drivers, and i tested the sound card in another computer and it worked just fine.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
What is the model of the mother board?
Did you disable the on board sound card in the bios? (it should be automatic)

before I posted

Make sure that you can see the slider of the microphone if not then go to properties choose the sound card the the mic is connected to and at the bottom check the Microphone and Ok.

you chose the correct sound card?

When you tried the card on another computer did you use the sound card and mic that u bought?

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
my mainboard is a conroe 945G-DVI, the onboard sound is automatically adjusted, and i did chose the correct sound card in properties, and yes i can see the slider of the microphone, but there's no input whatsoever.

And i tried the soundcard on the other computer with the microphone as well, but it was working there.

I really don't get it.

But thanks a lot for trying to help me.

vally

vally

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts
Here is an attachment of the sound control panel
mic.JPG
I marked with arrow where the sound card should be chosen
and also to make sure about the mute to un check.

It seems there is something small we are missing.... :)

gamernixin

gamernixin

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have those properties already, and i tried using Line In, "What U Hear" and others just to test. But still it's nothing :)

I had my schools IT Technician to look at my computer and he didn't know either.