Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Domain Registration cost

• Please log in to reply

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I was Researching Domain Regestration Cost and it seems like they cost around $10 a year, however it seems like some companies are into scaming people or
I have a gut feeling about them.

It's my first time regestering a domain name and I hate to be sucked in into a contract :)

I was also researching the forums to see if anyone had any recommendations of good legitt domain companies to register my domain, with a .com at the end.
I did not find anything. What do you recommend as far as a Legit Domain company to register with.

I want to use www.000webhost.com as my hoster.

Thank-you to all :)

Advertisements

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
Hi Felipe,

Have you looked into IIS(Internet Information Services)that is include with vista? If your computer is a desktop then you may want to check that out. IIS stores your site locally and is free, but you have to set it up.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
There are plenty of legitimate places to register a domain name ranging from about $10-30 a year. It's the webhosting contracts that you need to be careful with. Domain registration is pretty straightforward. You select a domain name, if it's available you are able to purchase it, set the nameservers for where you plan to host it, and renew it next year (or whenever the period expires. Sometimes you can get a price break by registering a name for a longer period of time.) Most places allow you to keep a credit card on file and automatically renew when it's time.

What features prompted you to select that webhost? Do they also do domain name regitration? To keep it simple, might want to just do it all with them.
Johanna

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Hi Felipe,

Have you looked into IIS(Internet Information Services)that is include with vista? If your computer is a desktop then you may want to check that out. IIS stores your site locally and is free, but you have to set it up.

....IIS would allow him to host his own website...assuming he does the proper port forwarding etc... on his connection and his ISP allows for in home webhosting. HOWEVER the OP isn't asking about web hosting, he's asking about domain registration, which you can't do at your house from your computer

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

....IIS would allow him to host his own website...assuming he does the proper port forwarding etc... on his connection and his ISP allows for in home webhosting. HOWEVER the OP isn't asking about web hosting, he's asking about domain registration, which you can't do at your house from your computer

In other words you still have to pay for an address?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
unless you just want to give out an IP address to everyone that you want looking at your website

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
The point of registering a domain name is so that the servers around the world can locate your domain. This cannot be done without their network. There are authorized resellers like Netsol, domain.com etc who make sure the info is spread around the world so people can find your site. You specify the nameservers of your host to your registrar so that they can direct traffic to you. Clear as mud, huh?
Johanna

Buttons1

Buttons1

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

unless you just want to give out an IP address to everyone that you want looking at your website

Good point. I don't want the malware writers interested in my site. Bummer, I was already building a site with visual studio. Now I guess I'll go back to google sites. :)

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
@ Johanna

I was thinking of www.000webhost.com because it seems it's a free hosting for a registered name. I researched there website and I feel they are pretty straight forward. However I still don't know what is the other side of the coin for using 000webhost as my server for free. :)

Thank-you to all so much so what is a company to register with that you recommend? :)

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Well, to make a good decision you have to know what you need. I looked at that host and they had two tiers of service. One was free, one had a fee. If you look at them side by side, the one that costs has more and better features available. You have to ask yourself how much online storage you need, the traffic you expect so you can predict bandwidth needed, how many email accounts you'll want, how many databases the site will require, how much software comes with the hosting in the control panel (like web templates and stats) and so on. If you are putting together a couple of personal pages that don't require much from the host, the free version offered in the link you provided will be sufficient. If you have more elaborate plans, shop around. I can tell you the names of the most popular hosting companies, or even who I use, but our needs are too different- can't compare apples to oranges.
Johanna

Felipe Cabesas

Felipe Cabesas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank-you all for the great info :)