Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Frozen at desktop

• Please log in to reply

revenger

revenger

• PipPip
  • 15 posts
I am running windows xp on a gateway 832gm. When I start the computer it starts as normal. It shows the desktop icons and when I try to go to any of the programs they act like they are going to start up but than everything just freezes. The cursor will not move and I cannot access anything. (Now I know why its called a cursor)

I have tried to open in safe mode and it just keeps taking me back to safe mode with all the same options. I tried opening in last known working configs and the same thing happens. I have also unplugged everything and let it set for awhile and I get the same thing as described.

I have not added any new software or hardware. I have also tried going into system restore and it allows me to pick a date and than when I hit next, it does nothing. I have to do this fast or I cannot even do this. I cannot open any programs to run anything to scan for something that might be causing this problem. I do not have the windows xp cd's due to a theft and Gateway has given me fits trying to get replacement.

I was running the avast spyware program or whatever it is called, last night and when I came to get on today this is the problems it was giving me. Before starting a new topic, I searched thru past topics and cannot find an answer.

What would be my next step? Sorry so long but tried to answer any questions an expert might have. Thanks for any and all help

Edited by revenger, 07 April 2010 - 09:54 PM.

Advertisements