Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Recurring problem with HP printer/scanners.

• Please log in to reply

averysadman

averysadman

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
I recently borrowed a HP F380 from a friend to do some scanning. After playing around for about an hour downloading various updates and drivers, i set to work.
It refused to scan. No matter what i did, no matter what drivers were installed it just would not scan. It printed flawlessly, so that excludes a connection problem. After an entire afternoon of messing around i gave up, and bought a HP C4280.
I had an identical problem. This one came with the installation disk, so i'm sure to have had all the necessary software to operate it.
The scan option is not present when i access the printers via my laptop, and when i press the scan button the power button flashes green, but nothing responds.
I have scoured google only to find answers that tell me to update my drivers, which i have done to no avail.

Advice would be much apreciated as this is disrupting my work.

Advertisements

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
What OS is on your laptop?

I know I am new here, but I have run into many, many HP software/driver issues before, so I hope my first post will be a helpful one. Mods/Admins, if this is not allowed please delete this post (but I'm pretty sure this will help!).

The HP printer drivers are definitely mucked up. To get around the HP driver issues, you should completely remove all of the HP drivers and software on your machine.

First, disconnect ALL HP printers' USB cables from your laptop and delete any and all HP printers installed in "Printers and Faxes" (XP) or "Printers" (Vista, 7) found in the Control Panel.

Next, open the Control Panel and (for XP) "Add or Remove Programs" or (for Vista, W7) "Programs and Features". Uninstall all HP printer software including the following, rebooting when prompted and continuing until all HP software is gone from the list:

HP Solution Center
HP Imaging Device Functions
HP Photosmart Essential
HP Photosmart Express
HP Smart Web Printing
HP OCR Software
HP Update
Shop for HP Supplies
HP Customer Participation Program

Then, download the HP Software Removal Tool from HP's website.
http://h10025.www1.h...;product=421139
As the instructions on HP's site state, save the removal tool to your computer and run it. The first time you run it, it will run "stage 1". Reboot when "stage 1" completes and run the software again. Reboot after each run and repeat until you have run "stage 4" of the HP removal utility. Reboot one last time.

Finally, if the "HP" folder or "Hewlett-Packard" folder under "C:\Program Files\" exist, delete them.

After you have done all of that, download and install the latest FULL driver from HP's support site.
XP and Vista: http://h10025.www1.h...r...228&lang=en

Windows 7: http://h10025.www1.h...product=3192753

Please keep us posted, or let us know if you have any trouble with the steps.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Thank you for your quick reply.

Im going to try your method now and ill get back to you.

averysadman

averysadman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
Nope, it didnt work (took me ages too, ARGH)

The problem is still the same.