Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Pc tower won't turn on and the monitor says power saving?

• Please log in to reply

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Ok well my tower at the back has a green light flashing and it's making a ticking noise.
At the front where I would turn it on it isn't lighted and wot allow me to turn it on.
A read a forum to take the battery out in the mother board and see if it turns on and it doesn't bit continues to do everything the same. I put it back in out everythings the same. Don't have a clue what do do please help.

Advertisements

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Can you distinguish where the ticking noise is coming from, EXACTLY? Take the side panel off of the tower, and without touching anything inside, plug it in and try to pinpoint the noise. Then unplug the computer again.

Refer to this image: http://www.lowter.co...er_diagram1.gif
Posted Image

From what you describe with the sound and the blinking light on the rear of the system using it sounds like it is probably a power supply issue. However, failing hard disk drives can also make clicking noises. Keep your fingers crossed that the sound isn't coming from a hard drive with data you value.

Let us know!

*Remember to unplug the computer afterwards!

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I went awa. For a weekso turned it off at the plug. And got back to it not working. It is coming from The back right beside the light. On the diagram it would be the power supply...

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
What kind of computer do you have? For example, is it a Dell or HP or Asus, etc. or "home-built" computer? If it is from a major manufacturer, what is the model number of the computer?

Also, how old is your computer? Is it possibly still under warranty?

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
It's a hp pavilion f1703 n um yeah it was made in 2003 but it's been good for ages. Just went away and this happens when I've not even touched it since last Wednesday.

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I believe you're reading the model number of the LCD monitor to me. Please read the model number off of the computer tower itself. It is usually on the front of the tower, near the power button.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
System number: dq074a
serial number: czb34501h7
I found this on the back but there's nothing on the font except stuff telling you about what's installed etc

Edited by Kaylee Brown, 08 April 2010 - 07:06 AM.

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Please immediately go back and erase the 25 character key you entered on the last line. That is for your computer only and not to be shared.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Done it

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
I stiill don't know what my problem is :)

Edited by Kaylee Brown, 08 April 2010 - 07:21 AM.

Advertisements

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Your computer is an HP Pavilion a330.uk

You most likely need to replace the power supply. Any 300-watt or more ATX power supply with a 20-pin connector (or 20+4 connector) should work.

But since you are in Scotland, I don't really know where to tell you to get one from. I'm not familiar with sourcing parts in Scotland. :) Here are two I found doing a search for Scotland computer parts.

http://www.misco.co....h...099&CatId=0
http://www.misco.co....h...173&CatId=0

Edited by bcohea, 08 April 2010 - 07:42 AM.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Argh more money :) I've spent so much money upgrading it I think I should just get a new tower :) do you know why it broke after keeping it off for a while?

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Also if the power supply doesn't work why is or powering the monitor on to pc power saving mode :/

bcohea

bcohea

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Also if the power supply doesn't work why is or powering the monitor on to pc power saving mode :/

The power saving mode is for the monitor only. You could plug that monitor into to ANY computer that is turned off (or won't turn on) and get that screen. Your monitor is still GOOD.

do you know why it broke after keeping it off for a while?

It's a computer from 2003. They do that sometimes. :)

Some component inside the power supply failed after not being used for some time. It could have been a power surge/spike, or it could have just been due to the fact that it is quite old for a consumer power supply unit.

If you were already thinking about replacing the computer now may be a convenient time to do so. Hopefully you will have better luck with your new computer!

edit: replied to both posts

Edited by bcohea, 08 April 2010 - 08:09 AM.

Kaylee Brown

Kaylee Brown

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
Probably the best idea

I was thinking about this 1

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

is this a good tower? And would it work with my monitor. Also I would need to buy a windows xp disk, how would I install it on the new tower? Sorry I'm not a pc wiz :)