Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Lost Internet When She Returned Home

• Please log in to reply

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Hello:

A lady brought her PC to my house to work on for her. Part of my work, was to download and install the latest updates from Microsoft. In addition, I download a virus scan program and ran it.

When I finished, she dropped by to pick the computer up. Back at her house, she called me because apparently she has no internet there. At both locations, she's using a wired connection. Here, I was running through a router; at her house, she plugs directly into a cable modem that also offers phone service. I knew the Internet was working here at my house so I walked her through some simple fixes - Checked cable connection on the back of the PC (connection was good and she said the little lights were flashing), told Windows to repair the connection (couldn't find anything wrong), tried rebooting the modem (apparently her modem has a built in backup battery because she said when she unplugged it from the wall that the power light kept flickering on and off slowly so I'm not sure the modem was actually reset), tried the connection repair in the command prompt with the IPCONFIG /RELEASE and IPCONFIG /RENEW commands (she got an IP address, but it seems like a strange one to me - figured it would be a 192.168 number but it isn't), wanted to try using another NIC on the back of the PC (she only has one). Since I was unable to fix it over the phone, I told her I would ride out to her house tomorrow to take a look at it myself. I also asked her to call the ISP to make sure the trouble isn't on their end. They told her they couldn't find anything wrong on their end and that it was, in fact, her PC that's messed up.

I think at some point, she MAY have mentioned that she saw a message about DNS but I could be getting this issue confused with another incident.

Just wondering if any of you can think of anything else I can check so I'll be ready when I arrive tomorrow. I am going to have a good look at that modem though and see if I can get it to reboot properly.

Any and all information will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Magus

Advertisements

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
She needs to power cycle all devices. You're probably going to see a 169.254.xxx.xxx IP address.

Have her remove power from the PC and the router, if any. Follow the instructions below to power cycle the EMTA.

http://chat-staging....1a-a3a10367a7f7

Wait 60 sec til the EMTA is in sync.

Apply power to the router and wait 60 sec until it is in sync with the EMTA.
Finally power up the PC.

Should work now.

magusbuckley

magusbuckley

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 626 posts
Made the drive out to her house today. Not sure why, but in her Windows Account, the Proxy was enabled under Connections in Internet Explorer. I reset all hardware, removed the proxy, and away she went.

Thanks for the information.

Magus

DaffyKantReed

DaffyKantReed

• PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
If she uses Comcast as an ISP, they have software which will leave a proxy setting if it does not run from beginning to end. Some anti-virus products do the same thing. Good catch, magusbuckley.