Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

bios/hard disc problem.

• Please log in to reply

l3th4l

l3th4l

• PipPip
  • 67 posts
Eh .. Hello. Here's my problem : My Windows crashed ,bios couldn't find hard disc , bought new hard disc bios still didn't find it, tried everything. Finally called tech he said i should try updating bios . Can you guys find me correct bios and give me a link? Everything about my bios + proc . Phoenix - award bios v6.00PG. 12/24/2003-nVidia-nForce-6A61BD4AC-00. Bios N34B.42.1P.P1. Version 4.34.20.42.00 (that may be my video card version xD). My processor is AMD Athlon™ XP 1250MHz. My hard disc is sata 320 gb/ 7200rpm/16M. Btw i tried using sata drivers it didin't work. Please link the bios update. If you know other solution tell in this thread.

Edited by l3th4l, 08 April 2010 - 10:53 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Hi l3th4l

I doubt the problem is a bios upgrade. If you are replacing a SATA drive with a SATA drive, the bios should not be a factor.

Is the problem the fact that bios does not see it?, or that windows can't find it when you install?

Reboot the system and at the first post screen (where it is counting up memory) start tapping the DEL or F1 or F2 or Esc or F10 button
This will enter you into the Bios\Cmos area.

When you install windows you have to do F6 and give the install a floppy with the sata drivers on it.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Yes bios can't find hard disc i know how to enter bios. And as i said i tried sata floppy at first.

rshaffer61

rshaffer61

• 34,114 posts
Old hard drive SATA?
New hard drive SATA?
Same connector as old one or new cable?
Same port connected to or different port?
If old and new hd are both SATA then the bios does not need updating.
If old cable may be a faulty cable. If same port with different cable then port might be the problem.
If new cable, new hd, different port...possible bad hd.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Same cabel ,same port. But cabel seems ok not bitten or anything. I guess i will try buying new cabel :-S.

l3th4l

l3th4l

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Same cabel ,same port. But cabel seems ok not bitten or anything. I guess i will try buying new cabel :-S.

Alzeimer

Alzeimer

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,331 posts
Try you hdd on another system to see if it is recognize if it is try the same hdd with your sata cable on another system and so on, always try eliminating possible cause before buying new equipment.

If your hdd and cable work on the other system try another port on your motherboard and if still not recognize then your ports are the problem.