Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help recovering a file

• Please log in to reply

Kashink

Kashink

• PipPip
  • 56 posts
Hi,

Word xp just disappeared suddenly and I lost a whole week's work in the split of a second. Is it possible to recover it? I read some threads about this on the Net, but I don't trust the programs they advertise for this. Is there anything safe you would recommend?

Thanks,

K.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
The whole program is missing, or some files, you created?

Kashink

Kashink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Just one file, the one I've been working on for a week. It's a docx file (latest Word), but my Word version is xp. I hope something can be done, otherwise I am doomed.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
OK, what exactly happened?
You worked on that file, saved it and it disappeared, or...?
We need a whole story.

Kashink

Kashink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
I've been working in the file for a week now. I usually leave it on my laptop, just close the cover and reopen it the next day, adding to the file everyday. Like I said before, I have win xp, but this client's file was in the latest word (extension docx). This morning, I worked on it, saved regularly as I always do, and then just like that, word disappeared. When I relaunched it, no recovered file. I looked in the folder where I saved it: nothing. Just a few files with this sign (~) before their name. One might be the one that disappeared, it's a tmp. Otherwise, I found some wbx and/or asd or tmp files in the backup destination (in Appl Data/Microsoft/Word.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
See, if Recuva will find something: http://www.piriform.com/recuva

Kashink

Kashink

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
Nope, doesn't work, Recuva doesn't "see" the files with extensions asd or tmp.

However, it's possible to open the files with Notepad, which I did, and just spent most of the day copying and pasting the unformatted text into a Word xp document, then formatting the text. It's a pain, but much less work than starting from scratch.

Thanks.
:)

Edited by Kashink, 08 April 2010 - 05:10 PM.