Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

BSOD

• Please log in to reply

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Basically I know absolutely nothing about computers, or my own computer for that matter, other than that I have XP, not even sure if this should be in this part of the forum or not, but here goes.. Basically, I had a power cut one time, and since then, I've been BSOD'd every time I try to log on, after the Windows loading screen, but before the log-in screen.. The error message thing that comes up is 0x000000ED (0x8A3A7900, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000).. Anyone know any possible reason for it happening, or preferably, how I can stop it happening, any input appreciated.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Is the computer a branded make, if so pls supply make and model.
Do you have a windows xp CD.
If it is branded, do you have the CD supplied with it, there MAY not have been one.
We need to get into Recovery Console, to run chkdsk that can be run from Safe Mode, see if you can boot to that.
On switching on, keep pressing F8 (most likely) and see if a screen appears offering options including
SAFE MODE.
If it does select that, THEN if that loads, post back and I will take you to the next step.

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have an XP disc, however from what I can tell from it, it doesn't look like it's an official one, and I've tried booting in Safe Mode before, and it still got the BSOD, I've also tried putting the disc in, pressing F8 and clicking boot from Disc, and again I got the BSOD, I wouldn't mind having to do a full re-installation of my XP, as long as it would get my computer working again.

EDIT, As far as I can see it isn't branded, I bought it from a friend a pretty long time ago.

Edited by iTonehhh, 08 April 2010 - 04:20 PM.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Pls do not be offended but this site does not support the use of illegal software or the improper use of legal software. If it transpires that your copy of Windows is not validated and therefore not genuine then I will immediately withdraw any further assistance.
Press F2 on first post beep. (keep tapping the key)
Go across with the keyboard right arrow to boot priority.
If the hard drive is the first boot device, come down to that then Enter and change to CD drive or DVD drive.
Then make the HDD the second device
Press F10 most likely to save and exit.
Insert the Windows XP CD, see if it boots to that.
If so post back.
DO NOT DO ANYTHING ELSE.

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
The Windows that is on it is Genuine, or at least I'd hope so considering it was on when I bought the PC from the store, the disc I have now is from a friend. I'll try what you said now.

EDIT: Pressing F2 does nothing, I still get the "Use last known config" screen.

Edited by iTonehhh, 08 April 2010 - 05:24 PM.

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can however put in the Disc, press F8 and then choose Boot from Disc, if that would be the same?

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
Put the CD in the drive.
Switch off.
Switch on
see if it now automatically boots to the CD.
It is no use pressing F8, as you reported that you still ended up with the BSOD

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Tried that, and it still just boots the way it always has, still giving me the BSOD.. I don't care if I have to do something which will make me lose everything that was on the HD, as it isn't the computer I used to do work on.. When trying to do the automatic repair that started when I booted from the disc, it said I had no HD even installed, which I do.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
The error code can indicate "unmountable boot volume"
You need to establish if the HDD is any good.
The safe way is to take out the hard drive and place it in an enclosure, then connect it to another computer as an external drive and see if it is readable.
Firstly try again booting to BIOS setup.
It may be the F2 or DEL or another key. Have a look at this
http://michaelsteven...anufacturer.htm

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
As above, this was posted twice in error

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 April 2010 - 06:34 PM.

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
From what I can see, I am able to take out the HD, but there is no way to run it as an external HD on the computer I'm using now.. The computer I have is from '06, so it is quite an old PC, but I'd rather just try and fix it myself, than spend the money on buying a new PC, unless that isn't an option. ^^

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I was not suggesting buying a new PC. It was a way of verifiying that the HDD is OK.
Pls read the link I sent

iTonehhh

iTonehhh

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I can press Del to enter the BIOS settings, but it is pass-worded, and I have no idea what the password is.

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
I take it you have tried it blank

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
In case you are still monitoring your thread. If you cannot establish the password it can be reset by
moving a jumper on the Motherboard for Clear CMOS password.
If you need further help with this aspect please post.