Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Please Help! My laptop won't connect to the Internet.

• Please log in to reply

KField

KField

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hello everyone!

I have a Dell Inspiron E1705 with Windows Vista, purchased in early 2007. My computer has worked perfectly fine until recently. The other day, I was on my computer, using the Internet with no problems. I went to bed and the next morning my computer would not connect to the Internet.

I clicked on the two computer screens icon on the bottom right of my screen, and then selected "Connect to a Network." After that, a dialog box pops up that NORMALLY lists all of the nearby networks, including mine. I then just click on my network and it connects right away. BUT, now when I click on connect to a network, the dialog box pops up and says "Windows cannot find any networks." This is strange to me, so I click "Diagnose why windows can't find any networks" in that same dialog box. After clicking that, another box pops up and says "This computer does not have a wireless network adapter installed and configured." What does this mean?? My laptop was working perfectly fine and then it says this all of a sudden.

I also tried plugging an ethernet directly into my computer from the router and it would still not connect to the Internet. I don't think there is a problem with my router or modem because my roommate's laptop and desktop still pick up our network without any problem.

Since my comptuer it out of warranty, Dell will no longer help me and their forum is terrible!! Any help, comments, suggestions would be truly appreciated.

Thanks!

Kelsey

Advertisements

Techs753

Techs753

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Hi KField,
You may want to try and update your hardware drivers or repair them (you can download any updates on another computer and transfer them through a flash drive). If that doesn't work make sure that the wireless adapter is turned on. This might be virus or malware related. You might want to take this over to the malware forum.
Hope i could help, Techs :)

Dark Player

Dark Player

• PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
Is your Wireless Reciever switch on the On side? im not sure if you have one but mine is on bottom left hand corner. then again my laptop is HP, b ut if you do have one, turn it on and try connecting again.

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You can toggle wireless networking On/Off by pressing [Fn][F2].

http://support.dell....en/om/about.htm

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi KField ... :) ..:)

if the other things suggested do not help...check the Device Manager manager for any yellow ! or ? marks...
how to here

Edited by happyrock, 10 April 2010 - 07:23 AM.