Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Black Screen

• Please log in to reply

nzab

nzab

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a computer that was put together by a friend of ours. The OS is Windows Vista Ultimate. I cannot move the cursor or press any help buttons - it just gets stuck on this black screen. As I am not at home I can not give you more specs and even if I could I'm not that computer savvy so specs would be all I could offer. Help! I left it on all night in hopes that something would happen but nothing did. I cannot access any setup option screen to fix this.

Thanks,

Just thought I'd add that before this happened a corrupt file was detected on Windows live mail - in my calender...I tried to restart the computer and the above is what happened - i do not get a welcome screen - there is a brief flash XFX Play Hard (don't quote me - told you not too computer savvy and I don't remember without looking at i) the black screen then pops up and i'm stuck

Edited by nzab, 09 April 2010 - 05:19 PM.

Advertisements

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hi and welcome to geekstogo.

If you press F8 when the computer starts and click Safe Mode by using the up and down arrows and clicking enter, does it work?

nzab

nzab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
well, i somehow managed to reformat my drive - i have no idea how - and windows vista freshly installed and i lost all my files - again i have no idea how i could have done that - i would have recognized a request to fresh install - there was no option available. I'm thinking i might have lost all files before...is there a recourse to recover my files? i have some on backup but not all...does 'recover my files' work?

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Hmm, I don't think so...

nzab

nzab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hi,

Would you be able suggest a product that might help this situation if one exists? Please advise.

Thanks,
Noemi

Pawanhammers

Pawanhammers

• PipPipPip
  • 248 posts
Easeus recovery is a good software to recover your lost data.

http://www.easeus.com/.

P.S. Sorry for the late replys.

nzab

nzab

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thank you. I will take a look.

np about the late replies...

kristain

kristain

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
Hello,
if you are facing black screen problem in Vista just follow these steps
In safe mode, go to start->run, type in msconfig, and the system configuration window will come up.
First, try clicking on startup and say disable all, then say apply. Try restarting your computer and loading it normally, and see if it lets you get anywhere. If it does, you can go back into msconfig and start enabling startup items again until you find the one that is messing you up.
If that didn't work, try going back into msconfig, keep all the startup items disabled, and click on the services tab. check the box saying hide all microsoft services, then click on disable all, and hit apply. Try restarting into Windows normally again, if it works, then again, you have to figure out which service/startup items are affecting your boot up.
If that didn't work either, then you may have a graphics card issue. Where does it stop when you try to load Windows normally?