Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Keyboard/Mouse stopped working while booting!

• Please log in to reply

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
My Windows in loading super slow now, and i noticed my keyboard is not working anymore during the boot sequence (for example, i can't press DEL to enter BIOS or select a choice when Windows didn't shut down correctly). The mouse and keyboard work in Windows though, but not while the computer is booting...

What's wrong? can this be fixed?

I recently installed a SATA DVD-writer, it work fine, my computer did booted fine with it yesterday, but today my computer got this problem...

i did tried to do "sfc /scannow" but it asks me for the "Windows XP Professional" disc when i have HOME version...

i tried another keyboard, but it doesn't work still.

i have Windows XP Home SP3 with latest patches, my computer is a Pentium 4 3Ghz, 1.5gb DDR400.

It takes about 2 minutes for Windows to boot up (booting screen), and it began to do this right when the keyboard (and mouse maybe?) stopped working in the computer booting sequence

Edited by RaptorZX3, 08 April 2010 - 03:02 PM.

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
Post details of the computer pls. Is it a branded OEM etc.
Start
My Computer (Right click)
Properties
Post details from the General tab, deleting personal info.
It is not unusual for the mouse not to work in bios setup, in fact it is more unusual for it to do so.
Can I presume that the SATA DVD is NOT listed as the first boot device.
Additionally, when you first installed, did you then check setup, to see how the device had been allocated.
If you have not already done so, remove the DVD, you only need of course to unplug the sata leads, power and SATA to motherboard, from the DVD
Now see what happens.

Edited by Macboatmaster, 08 April 2010 - 04:02 PM.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
well i fixed the problem, but Windows was still slow as [bleep], so i had to format, i'm re-installing right now...

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
What was the cause, please post details.

RaptorZX3

RaptorZX3

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
i don't know, the day before, it was doing fine, i didn't installed anything that could get in conflict.

And then the next day when i opened it up, Windows was booting up really slow, and my keyboard and mouse was disabled in DOS mode (i had to go buy a PS/2 keyboard at a crap-mart store nearby to change those disabled options in the BIOS...)