Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP help

• Please log in to reply

angela86

angela86

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi
I need to wipe the computers in my office because they are closing down.
how would I just delete all the work and everything that has been done on them since they were bought.

I want to keep XP on there along with all the programs that came with it.
I do not have the discs that came with them

Advertisements

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
angela86-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

There's no perfectly efficient way to delete data without formatting the hard drive and deleting everything off the hard drive. Even restoring to factory default settings will leave traces of data on your computer that, if fallen into the wrong hands, could be recovered and stolen.

May I ask what you are going to do with the computers after you delete the data? Depending on what you are planning to do there are different courses of action that you can take.

angela86

angela86

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

angela86-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

There's no perfectly efficient way to delete data without formatting the hard drive and deleting everything off the hard drive. Even restoring to factory default settings will leave traces of data on your computer that, if fallen into the wrong hands, could be recovered and stolen.

May I ask what you are going to do with the computers after you delete the data? Depending on what you are planning to do there are different courses of action that you can take.

Hi, we are giving the computers away to another charity and they dont have much sensitive data on them. im not bothered if they still have traces of data, i just need them to look new

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
No easy way to keep XP on the computers. Use a XP Retail CD to reinstall after a reformat if you have the registration code sticker on each computer.

Easist method to just wipe the drives, DBAN

http://www.dban.org/download

FAQ

http://www.dban.org/faq

SRX660

Edited by SRX660, 09 April 2010 - 07:12 AM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Yes, that was going to be my suggestion. Thanks, SRX660. :)

And if you're going to donate them to charity, you don't need to keep the OS. Most charities will install another one after they are given a wiped hard drive.

Hope that helps! Let me know if there's anything else I can assist you with. :)