Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Just installed a new Motherboard and prob's upon probs

• Please log in to reply

maheanuu

maheanuu

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I am helping a friend who doesn't really know that much and had a motherboard fail on him. He went to a local dealer here on our island and purchased a Biostar MCP6B M2+ Motherboard, a new AMD CPU and 2 Gigs of Memory. I installed the components, and had a slight problem at boot but did a repair and We were up and running. He stayed up for about 3 days and then started getting BSOD's and STOP Errors. I immediately went out to Biostar and downloaded all the latest drivers (25 Jan 2010) for this motherboard and there are a herd of those puppies.

My problem is I cannot get back into windows to install all these drivers and updates. I even tried to install a virgin disk and have ended up at the same point without ever opening the windows screen. I have tried re-installs, and repairs and all either fail or BSOD. I have managed to save all his data and even checked the old hard disk for malware and viri, but they are clean. This is a good friend and this is his business computer, right now he is doing a little bit of saves on the home machine, but all the records are on an external drive.

I have tried to see if I could manage to slipstream anything with UBCD411 and also using other disk managers and nothing I have will get me beyond this point. I have not tried to clear the bios as of yet, and probably should have.

I hope that there might be someone out there who may have knowledge of what I am going through.. I am located on the Island of Raiatea, 17 miles south west of Bora Bora and we are not at the end of the world, we are over it..

Thanking you in advance as I really appreciate any help that may be provided

Ken Jackson
CPO USN Ret.

Edited by maheanuu, 08 April 2010 - 06:40 PM.

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
Hello Ken been here and done that
do this since all his data is tied up on this machine take the hd out of it and use it as a slave on the his other pc take all the info off it he needs for work then format the drive and start over with a clean install, also right after the install add all the new drivers for the motherboard then reboot, if the issue persists then it might be a bad connection to either the power supply of the main ground in which case you just add another ground to the case
let me know if this works

if the upgrades are on a Cd you can always use old DOS to Xcopy from the CD to the hd by going to start/run and type in
cmd
black window appears and then you will have to change directory
cd\
enter key
then type in this assuming the drive letter is this
cd\
d:\
cd\
c:\
copy d
then wait while it processes the request then after its done remove the Cd and reboot

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try flashing the bios from a floppy...info here

maheanuu

maheanuu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Sorry that I haven't been back to answer the questions as I have been trying everything. I don't think that updating the Bios is the answer, but I may do it if all else fails tomorrow. I am going to try a "clean install' on a hard drive that has not been partitioned or formatted as of yet. If that works then I will be re installing the various proggies and all of the data from the original C drive.

I will stop in here tomorrow evening with my results, hopefully they will be at least partly positive. Having never used XP, I had no idea of the idiosyncrasies of it.... Even years after it's release it still can bite you on the butt if you're not careful....

maheanuu

maheanuu

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Double Posted In Error

Edited by maheanuu, 10 April 2010 - 11:53 PM.