Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

computer restore

• Please log in to reply

singlemommiex3

singlemommiex3

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have an HP desk top computer now I am not computer lit at all but I have some viruses or something that is causing issues like I cant download yahoo messenger and a few other things it keeps saying to check my firewall settings but everyone I can think of says they have and the firewall settings are off and still cant do it so I want to try to restore it to factory settings and hope that in this case that will fix the problem could you help me with this task please..... :)

Advertisements

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
to run restore for an HP machine do this
at boot up beorethe windows screen appears press and hold F11
this will then give you 2 options, the first will be system restore to factory settings
and the second will just reload windows
it might be easier for you to just do the reload other wise you will have to find and reload every program you have
also keep malwarebytes and grab AVG free its enough protection form the stuff that s out there
I always say if NASA can use it with the stuff they do its good enough for me

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
singlemommiex3-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I suggest taking a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums.

Formatting a hard drive is usually a last resort- there are ways of fixing your system without completely reinstalling the OS. :)

Summer6

Summer6

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Hi, you can try these steps

Step
Back up all crucial user files if you are able to do so. If your computer will not burn CDs, use flash drives of 4 GB or higher to store your data and transfer them to another computer. Alternatively, you can use your network to transfer files. You can then back them up to CD at your leisure.
Step
Detach peripheral devices such as removable media drives, USB drives and your printer before recovering. Also remove any additional hard drives by disconnecting the cable from the back. Leave your monitor, mouse and keyboard attached to the computer.
Step
Shut your computer down. Place the first recovery CD in the CD drive. If the computer fails to boot from the CD drive, reboot and enter the setup screen. Change your boot options so that the CD drive is above the hard drive. If your recovery files are written on a partition, you may be able to select system recovery from the splash screen.
Step
Select the recovery option you would like to use. To perform a destructive recovery, click the "Advanced" menu option. Select "Destructive Recovery" and click "Next." To perform a non-destructive or system recovery, simply click "Next" from the opening screen.
Step
Watch the computer while it is recovering to the factory settings. Watch for any errors, as the computer will wait indefinitely for a response from you, slowing down recovery time. Also, you may need to insert the additional recovery CDs as the recovery program requests them.
Step
Restart the computer in diagnostic mode if you experience crashes. These errors are most likely to occur after running a non-destructive recovery. To get to diagnostic startup, click "Start" then "Run." Type "msconfig" in the box. Click the radio button next to Diagnostic Startup: Load basic devices and services only. Click the "Restart" button when prompted by the computer. Reinstall any software programs which didn't come with your computer, and uninstall unneeded programs. If you cannot get into the configuration utility, shut the computer down, and press "F8" to get into troubleshooting and advanced options. Select "Safe Mode" from the menu and log in as an administrator. Reinstall any software which didn't come with your computer, and uninstall any unneeded programs.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
I will also recommend going to the malware forum. As stated, there are ways to remove malware and get the computer up and running.

We very seldom recommend a reformat and re-load of the OS. That is a last resort.

123runner