Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Malware unable to run exe files

• Please log in to reply

santosha

santosha

• PipPip
  • 36 posts
Today I belive I have been subjected to an awful virus or malware problem. I can not access most of my programs. When trying to go into conrol panel\ system it says C:\Windows\system32\rundl32.exe application not found. When trying to use my system restore it asks me what program I want to open it with. When I contacted e-machines they told me to run the system recovery cd which will wipe out my whole hard drive. Also when restarting the computer it has a Windows File protection boc that says "Files that are required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions. To maintain system stability. Windows must resotre the orginal versions of these files. Insert your Windows XP Professional CD2 right now. (My XP was factory installed so I don't have it only system recoery CD) Please help! I am using my laptop to write you because when i try use the internet, it keeps intercepting with spyware adveritsements and scanning my computer. Thank you so much. Santosha

Edited by santosha, 08 April 2010 - 10:23 PM.

Advertisements

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

When done, you should start a new thread in the Malware Removal forum

Edited by Phantom010, 08 April 2010 - 10:04 PM.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Phantom010-

You are not authorized to aid other forum members in malware removal. Only trained and approved staff members are allowed to give virus and malware removal advice on the forums. In addition, malware removal advice in only to be given in the Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum. Please refrain from attempting to aid any other forum members in virus or malware removal.

Please carefully re-read the Terms of Use that you agreed to when you joined. If you are interested in working as a trained Malware Removal staff member, you can apply to Geeks to Go's Geek University.

santosha-

Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I suggest taking a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums.

santosha

santosha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank your for your quick response. I accessed the malware removal forum and I am unable to run the downloads. It asks me what program I want to run it with. I can't run exe files. Thanks, Santosha

Phantom010-

You are not authorized to aid other forum members in malware removal. Only trained and approved staff members are allowed to give virus and malware removal advice on the forums. In addition, malware removal advice in only to be given in the Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum. Please refrain from attempting to aid any other forum members in virus or malware removal.

Please carefully re-read the Terms of Use that you agreed to when you joined. If you are interested in working as a trained Malware Removal staff member, you can apply to Geeks to Go's Geek University.

santosha-

I suggest taking a look at the Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide. This will help you disinfect the majority of malicious software from your system. If that doesn't solve your problem, post a new thread in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forums.

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
santosha-

Make sure you read all the way through the cleaning guide and post a new topic in the Virus, Spyware and Trojan Removal Forum; reading through the guide will help you with your initial post. We cannot assist you in malware removal here.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Phantom010-

santosha-

Sorry but I fail to see where I have helped in removing malware. That was a simple .EXE association fix in the registry. As for malware, I have advised santosha to seek help in the Malware Removal forum. :)

When done, you should start a new thread in the Malware Removal forum.

Edited by Phantom010, 08 April 2010 - 10:42 PM.

santosha

santosha

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
Thank you for that EXEFIX file downlad however when I tired to double click on it error message said "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator"

Try this fix: EXEFIX

Save the .reg file to your desktop. Double-click it to merge it to the registry.

Reboot.

If the fix only opens as a text file, right-click it and select Open With > Choose Program... Then, select the Registry Editor.

If the Registry Editor is not in the list, browse to C:\WINDOWS and select regedit.

When done, you should start a new thread in the Malware Removal forum

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, I can't help you anymore. :)

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Phantom010-

My apologies. I didn't read through your fix properly. I jumped the gun on that one. My bad. :)

When I open the link you posted, all I see is a page of text on my browser. Weird. Well, it's not my fix, so I can't complain.

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Phantom010-

My apologies. I didn't read through your fix properly. I jumped the gun on that one. My bad. :)

When I open the link you posted, all I see is a page of text on my browser. Weird. Well, it's not my fix, so I can't complain.

No problem, I understand. :)

As for the fix,

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
Phantom010-

Right. My failing brain has failed to realize that this is the XP forum, and I'm running on 7.

I'm tired. Sleepy time. You keep doing what you do. :)

Phantom010

Phantom010

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
santosha,

Malware is responsible for the "Registry editing has been disabled by your administrator" error message.

Try THIS to remove restriction from the Registry Editor.

However, you do have malware that will need to be taken care of.

Follow FearNothingProductions's instructions from now on.

Edited by Phantom010, 08 April 2010 - 11:29 PM.

Rorschach112

Rorschach112

Ralphie

• Retired Staff
  • 47,710 posts
Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE.

That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post an OTListIt log in THAT forum.