Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Using my old harddrive

• Please log in to reply

uzujay

uzujay

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Ok so i got a new computer, but i want to know if i can use my old pc's harddrive, i really just want the files that are on it. my new computer uses SATA, the old harddrive is IDE my new motherboard can support IDE. if i just take the old one out and add it will i corrupt the files? it has xp sp2 installed on it, will that it be a problem? as im on windows 7, and if you are thinking why dont i just burn the files to disk my dvd drive blew up n my new one is sata which my old pc doesnt support laso theres about 100gb of files on their that i want.

Thanks

Edited by uzujay, 08 April 2010 - 10:31 PM.

Advertisements

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Hello there,

There shouldn't be any problem plugging your IDE hard drive into the new motherboard as a secondary hard drive. Because by default, the motherboard has already set your primary hard drive that uses windows 7 as the primary boot drive. You will be able to boot normally with your IDE hard drive installed and able to access your files in windows explorer.

Edited by Axelion, 08 April 2010 - 11:45 PM.

uzujay

uzujay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
i installed and everything is fine thanks for the help

uzujay

uzujay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ok now i have a problem i all the files anf folders are their but i cant access them. i have to add myself in the security tab to every folder, then every file to even let me play it. theres alot of files on this harddrive and doin this manually would take days is there a way to remove these permissons or change them all to me?

Edited by uzujay, 09 April 2010 - 08:48 AM.

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
You can use Windows easy transfer that comes with Windows 7.
If you cannot find it, you can download the program here: http://windows.micro...s-easy-transfer

This is the tutorial you can follow: http://www.howtogeek...nd-a-usb-drive/

On the second phase of the step, you have to go to boot menu and select your old hard drive to boot from.

Edited by Axelion, 09 April 2010 - 12:16 PM.

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
I heard of this about a month or so ago, but I don't know if it is for taking ownership of just Windows Vista or 7 files, or if it will work on a slaved drive XP files as well. It won't hurt to try, and it's nice to have on your system for just in case. I have it on mine. :)

http://www.howtogeek...-menu-in-vista/

Taking ownership of system files or folders in Windows 7 or Vista is not a simple task. Whether you use the GUI or the command line, it takes far too many steps.

Thankfully somebody created a registry hack that will give you a menu item for “Take Ownership” that will handle all the steps for you.

Hope that helps. :)

Edited by Ferrari, 09 April 2010 - 09:01 PM.

uzujay

uzujay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
thats not working, after i install the program to my old hard disk it wont find the windows transfer program, and if i run the program from the old hard disk it finds my new hard drisk accounts not the old ones?

and ferrari im trying your way now ill let u know how it goes thanks

Edited by uzujay, 09 April 2010 - 09:30 PM.

uzujay

uzujay

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
ferrari that program worked thank you so much i was actually thinking i had to manually add myself to all the files lol thank you again

Ferrari

Ferrari

PC SURGEON

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,939 posts
You are very welcome. :) I can't take all the credit though, my very smart friend here at Geekstogo, Broni, mentioned it in a post once. I thought I might need to recommend it one day so I bookmarked it. Today was that day. :)

Glad it turned out easier for you... good luck!

Edited by Ferrari, 09 April 2010 - 09:46 PM.

Axelion

Axelion

• PipPipPip
  • 179 posts
Glad it worked out for you.

I had used windows easy transfer when upgrading from xp to 7 and it worked for me without a problem.