Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP won't boot, Setup won't set up!

• Please log in to reply

Karman

Karman

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi,

My relieable old Duron 13 started freezing intermittently and teh freezes gradually got worse. The CPU temprature was getting up to 66 degrees, so I thought th eprocessor was coming to the end of its natural.

I decide to go to alarger case to allow more air in and seperate the PSU from te processor. By this time Windows had stopped booting.

I've installed th emobo in th enew case, upgraded to a Sempron 2800+ but windos still refuses to boot. I've tried the hDD in another PC and it boots up.

When I tried to boot off my Windows CD it goes straight into Set up, loads some diles, then announces it is going to start windows, waits thane I get a message "cannot load KBDUS.DLL setup cannot continue, Shut down or restart computer"

This is turning into goundhog day. Please help!

Advertisements

lilsorms202

lilsorms202

• Pip
  • 8 posts
dude no way i have the same exact problem
i got a sepron 2800+ i got a chaintech mobo and i got to the boot from CD
started loading windows and jus froze.
tried it sooo many times i wanted to beat up the comp
uhhh soo i'm really no help jus supporting the topic n ur not the only one

Karman

Karman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I feel it's a software problem - the only component I haven't replaced is the DDR, an dthe BIOS says it's checking out OK. I hav eno reason to believe it should suddenlt die, but happy to listen to opinions.

Karman

Karman

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Is ther anyone out there with any suggestions? I don't really want to replace the PC component by component - if I take that route I'm bound to locate the problem with the final piece and end up a spare PC! :tazz:

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
check the bios and make sure it is set up correctly. Does it see the hd? Is the CPU compatible with this mobo? If you have verified the bios, and verified all cables are correct and secure, you are left with troubleshooting components. I would suggest bare minimum setup and get that working first. This would be mobo, cpu, 1 stick of ram, hd, cd drive and floppy, and psu.