Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Blue Screen - Help (Unmountable_Boot_Volume)

• Please log in to reply

Gramac

Gramac

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Help would be appreciated please;

I am unable to boot up. Getting the above message and the following;

***STOP: 0X000000ED (0X8AA3E428, 0XC0000006, 0X0000000, 0X0000000)

Using the XP boot up I can launch the recovery mode. When I run CHKDSK I get the message 'the volume appears to contain one or more unrecoverable problems'. When I run FIXMBR, I get the mesage ' the old master boot record cannot be read'. When I run FIXBOOT, I get the following 'The target partition is the file system on the start up partition is FAT the boot sector cannot be fixed'.

I am presuming that the master boot record is not functioning, and I suspect I may have turned the power off before it was fully shut down on the last occasion I have used it.

Can anyone suggest anything to get this back up and running please? I have some valuable photos etc that I do not want to lose.

I have two hard drives with a raid array, the BIOS sees both drives.

Thanks

G

Advertisements

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,237 posts
http://unmountablebo...xpsolution1.htm

Please see this link. Fixmbr etc from the Recovery Console will ONLY of course write a new MBR to the disk or partition that you are in.
If the MBR is on the Fat32 partition and the Recovery Console is on the NTFS "C" Windows for example then you have not therefore effected any change.

Gramac

Gramac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I am totally lost now. The solutions suggested do not work.

Thanks

G

Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster

• 7,237 posts
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

Have a look at this one please it is easier to follow.
I was trying to explain that Fixmbr and Fixboot from the Recovery Console will only FIX on the drive partition or Disk itself that you are executing the command on. Therefore, if the message you posted
'The target partition is the file system on the start up partition is FAT the boot sector cannot be fixed'.
which I think has words missing, indicates that the Windows installation was ON the RAID setup, it will not work unless you pressed F6 to load the RAID driver before entering the Recovery Console

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
Unmountable_Boot_Volume error usually means hard drive issue.

Run hard drive diagnostics: http://www.tacktech....ay.cfm?ttid=287 (or http://www.bleepingc...opic28744.html)
Make sure, you select tool, which is appropriate for the brand of your hard drive.
Depending on the program, it'll create bootable floppy, or bootable CD.
If downloaded file is of .iso type, use ImgBurn: http://www.imgburn.com/ to burn .iso file to a CD (select "Write image file to disc" option), and make the CD bootable.

NOTE. If your hard drive is made by Toshiba, unfortunately, you're out of luck, because Toshiba doesn't provide any diagnostic tool.

Gramac

Gramac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

Thanks. I have downloaded the Seatools for DOS program (Seagate), burned it onto both a DVD and a floppy. I have two Seagate hard drives that are set up in a Raid 0 array (I think it is this, it is where both are added together so it looks as though there is just one bigger one).

I am still having problems.

When I used the DVD to boot up my PC, I got the message that it I had no drives.

I then used the XP disc to boot up and used my Sil3114 Asus Raid Driver to go to the recovery screen to get a DOS prompt. I cannot use the sea tools DVD and when I come to use the floppy again nothing works.

How do I get the Sea Tools Program to check my raid array drives?

I did an A:\dir and have the following files listed;

FDconfig.sys
RDISK.EXE
unzip.exe
TDSK.EXE
FDAUTO.BAT
HIMEM.EXE
COMMAND.COM
KERNEL.SYS
seatools.zip

What do I do next please?

Thanks,

G

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since you set up a Raid 0 array (stripped) your in big trouble data wise...there is no way to recover your data unless you have backups somewhere else off the raid drives

Edited by happyrock, 10 April 2010 - 07:09 AM.

Gramac

Gramac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Hi,

I have downloaded HIREN's boot up disk and using 'mini XP' I can at least recover some datafrom 2 additional hard drives that are conventionally attached.

I have managed to at least load up the SATA driver although I still can't seem to get access to it. Surely there must be a fix.....Can I somehow replicate the master boot record and install a fresh one?

Regards,

G

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
RAID 0 (AKA ‘striping’) creates one logical disk out of multiple, identical physical disks. The total capacity is the sum of the individual disks. It offers higher data throughput, but does not actually provide any data redundancy whatsoever. Each disk is proportioned into many identically-sized ‘stripes’, which form a continuous chain when seen from the point of view of the whole logical disk. The stripes are shared in such a way that the first physical disk contains the first stripe, the second physical disk the second, and so on, until we return to the first physical disk where the count continues. The RAID controller stores metadata in track 0 of the physical disk(s) that dictates the configuration of the RAID array. If this metadata is corrupted or lost, the logical RAID 0 disk will be lost...you can try the procedure here but I wouldn't get my hopes up...

as for the 2 additional hard drives that you have ...slave them to a working computer and you will be able to get the data off them easily ...
for the future ...if you feel you need the speed of a stripped array I suggest you use a RAID 0 + 1 array...
both stripped and mirrored...it will require 4 identical drives. but it will give you both speed and safety...more here

Edited by happyrock, 10 April 2010 - 08:34 AM.

madmaven

madmaven

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
Not sure about the raid configuration but i used one of the utilities on Hirens Mini Xp it was a hard drive recovery tool Access the tools insted of going to the mini XP and use the hdd recovery tool without loosing any data and i was able to recover the OS and all my data. Had one bad sector. this was on a Sata drive not a raid. but thought I'd put in my 2 cents cause it works so nicely for me.
MM

Gramac

Gramac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Thanks for all the advice. Whatever I tried failed and I have resigned myself to the fact that a complete format is needed and time to start again. Just a little concerned around transferring my iPhone playlist back onto my iTunes as I have edited many titles etc.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try posting in the software forum for advice on the iPhone playlist back onto iTunes...I use neither but someone does and they may have a solution for you...