Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Laptop battery cannot be identified

• Please log in to reply

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I have a Dell Inspiron 1440 laptop that I have replaced the LCD screen and now when you boot the machine I get a message that says the battery cannot be identified. The battery will not charge but the machine works fine with it plugged in with the A/C adapter. I have disconnected the screen and plugged it up to an external monitor and I don't get the battery message. So that would tell me that there is something wrong with the BIOS or drivers or something else software related. Any help would be great because I'm lost on this problem. I have included an image of the message screen when the laptop boots up.

By the way, the LCD screen I replaced the broken one with was a compatible screen, not the exact same thing that came out of it. It had a Samsung brand in it but I found a compatible LG that does work with it.

Attached Thumbnails

• screenshot_003__Large_.JPG
  • screenshot_003__Large_.JPG

Advertisements

litefogg

litefogg

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
It sounds like your battery just bit the dust. try hitting f5 (at the error screen) and see what it tells you.

RiffRaffCat75

RiffRaffCat75

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
I put a new battery in from Dell and the system detects it but it will only charge up to 38%. It states that it's charging but the percentage never goes up. Any idea's?

amw_drizz

amw_drizz

• PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
Does it go up in the OS?

Worst case scenario it sounds like the charging circuit got messed up when you replaced the LCD on it. Did you replace everything back in order correctly? Laptops can be very finicky if you miss something, over tighten a screw were you shouldn't, miss a wire or contact.