Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Replace HTML Output Code

• Please log in to reply

hireconor

hireconor

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This seems like it would be possible with JavaScript, but I can't find it anywhere! All I want is a function in the source code to find this fragmented code:

<tr> 
 <td> 
ADD Shoes

and replace with:

<tr><td>Extra Text</td><td>
 <tr> 
 <td> 
ADD Beef

How can I do this?

Advertisements

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
Actually it may be easier than you think. I believe something like this might work:

for (var i = 0; i < document.TableName.elements.length; i++) {
	 if (document.TableName.elements[i].innerHTML == "Shoes") { 
		 document.TableName.elements[i].innerHTML = "Beef";
		 document.TableName.elements[i].previousSibling.insertBefore("<tr><td>Extra Text</td><td>");
	 }
   }

Of course, that requires naming the table, like this:

<table name="TableName">

This is justhis ant a theoretical answer. I haven't actually tested it as its meant to give you a general idea, and perhaps not the exact answer.

W3Schools was extremely useful in constructing this solution. If this doesn't work, or even if it does, you may want to look at the resources they provide.

hireconor

hireconor

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Actually my example is confusing, I just want to...

add a table row above another table row that has ADD Beef as its text.

Is this correct and show I put it in the header tag or at the bottom of the page?
<script type="text/javascript"> 
   for (var i = 0; i < document.msgBox.elements.length; i++) {
	 if (document.TableName.elements[i].innerHTML == "<tr><td>ADD Beef") { 
		 document.TableName.elements[i].previousSibling.insertBefore("<tr><td>Additional Items</td><td>");
	 }
   }
</script>

MS-Free

MS-Free

• PipPipPip
  • 425 posts
IF it's correct, and I'm not sure whether it is, it presumably belongs in the HEAD, and even there I'm not sure, I'm not a JS expert.

If this is to be triggered by an action you'd have to make it a function, so it could be called when the said action is taken.

Basically:

function FunctionName () {
}

and than to trigger it something like this

<a onClick="FunctionName()">click to trigger</a>

Do you have any programming experience? That could be very helpful to you. Can you even follow the theory of my previously posted theoretical answer? Put differently - do you understand what each statement is supposed to be doing?

Also, you need to remain consistent. Understand that TableName could be anything, it could be laskdjgklsahdg for all anyone cares. However, you have to consistently refer to it as such.

I emphasis this because I noticed that in your permutation you used "msgBox", but continued to use "TableName" in both of the following occurrences.