Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

KSOD....solved...but internet isn't working

• Please log in to reply

jsuey

jsuey

• Pip
  • 7 posts
I'm just wondering as to why on earth my computer's internet won't let me to allow internet detections.

I think I somehow shortcircuted my computer when I turned it on in my car and then after about 10 minutes later, quickly put it on standby and stuffed it into my bag. when i got it out again to use, everything looked fine, up until i went to close a window.

the whole computer froze, and so i forced a shut down, and turned it on again. Only to discover KSOD. I solved it, but my internet isn't going on. Everytime I click, "Turn on network discovery", and then apply, the window just freezes. A few of my other programs won't load either, for example Windows Live Messenger was apparently not responding and had to be shut down.

It seems as if a component was taken out of the computer and now everything relying on the internet won't work....

-Jenn

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

take a peek in Device Manager to see if there are any driver errors. They will be flagged with an exclamation mark or question mark, with possibly "Unknown Device" next to the symbol. It may simply be a case of re-installing your network drivers.

Device Manager is in Windows Vista Control Panel as an icon you can double-click, then Device Manager will open.

By the way, jsuey, what's a KSOD? There's a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) I've been well acquainted with for years, but a KSOD?

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 April 2010 - 06:11 AM.

jsuey

jsuey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Welcome to Geeks to Go!

take a peek in Device Manager to see if there are any driver errors. They will be flagged with an exclamation mark or question mark, with possibly "Unknown Device" next to the symbol. It may simply be a case of re-installing your network drivers.

Device Manager is in Windows Vista Control Panel as an icon you can double-click, then Device Manager will open.

By the way, jsuey, what's a KSOD? There's a BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) I've been well acquainted with for years, but a KSOD?

KSOD is Black Screen of Death...it occurs on Vista and apparently Windows 7 OS's. It's basically when you get past the welcome page, and you're stuck with a black screen and ur cursor. nothing else..

I tried doing what you suggest, nothing seems wrong, there are no exclamation points or such.

can someone please suggest something else???

jsuey

jsuey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I really need someone to look at this post.

i find it ridiculous that it takes this long for someone to reply, can anyone please suggest something

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

i find it ridiculous that it takes this long for someone to reply, can anyone please suggest something

first you should go here...please read the whole thing
after reading that
you will need to run sfc /scannow...
if you don't have a xp cd you will have to borrow one from a friend or coworker...
it has to be the same flavor of xp you have installed...IE: if you have xp pro...the one you borrow has to be xp pro

To do this click on start...run...then type in...sfc /scannow

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.

for vista...
go to the run box and type in cmd
instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter You will be prompted with the obnoxious User Account Control dialog… but it will then open up a command prompt in Administrator mode...then type in sfc /scannow

NOTE THE SINGLE SPACE BEFORE THE /

jsuey

jsuey

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
first of all, i'm sorry that i came off to be rude, i was getting frusterated that my post wasn't getting any responses
and second, thank you for replying.

it seems as if something is blocking my system from me changing anything.

i ran cmd as u said but when i typed in sfc /scannow, it said that i had to be an admin. running the console session in order to use the sfc utility but i am on the admin. account.

Edited by jsuey, 14 April 2010 - 08:32 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
most of the staff here work in the computer industry/IT/computer shops...we volunteer our time and expertise for free but we all have work/home/life obligations like every other person...so please be patient if we don't get right back to you..it is ok to send a PM to someone that has been helping if you haven't heard from them in a couple of days because sometimes the mail server will screw up and we do not get notification that you have replied

did you try instead of hitting the Enter key press Ctrl+Shift + Enter keys all at once...
nojoy
you can also try System Restore...go back at least a week BEFORE you started having issues

Edited by happyrock, 15 April 2010 - 09:09 AM.