Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Installing win 98se from a killdisk

• Please log in to reply

rramsdell

rramsdell

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a computer it had win 2000 Pro. on a network. Sometimes when you go to the internet the screen would go haywire and you would have to kill the power to it to reboot. I decided to killdisk it and start fresh. when I got to the screen to erase it I would get a box which I have never seen saying Boot sector Write!! Virus: Continue (Y/N)? so I say Y. Now i am trying to install win 98 on it and when i get to the setup the screen is frozen with that same message. My Caps lock does not work but my num lock works and my mouse moves. The only way to do any thing else is to ctrl alt del.
Help please Ron :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
could be a boot virus, but it is more likely that your motherboard has boot virus protection....drop into bios and look around...see if boot sector virus protection is enabled....if so, disable.

You need to write to the boot sector during windows installation.

rramsdell

rramsdell

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
That was my virus boot problem. I don't even remember enagling it.