Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

USB Flash Drive - Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply

CWT

CWT

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear GTG -

My SanDisc Cruzer, 8 Gig, USB Flash Drive stopped working. My PC Vista OS, recognizes the drive and then rejects it. I can briefly see the drive letter pop up on Explore. When I plug the drive into my older XP PC, it doesn't get recognized at all.

What can I do to get the files from this drive? The files contain a list of 35 to 45 passwords I use. Is there a piece of recovery software that I could use? Perhaps a specialized piece of hardware?

I am starting to rebuild this, but it will take weeks with revalidating security, etc.

Help most appreciated -
Sans Sandisc in St. Louis

Advertisements

CWT

CWT

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
Dear GTG -

I just tried the USB drive in my wife's laptop and the laptop ID'ed it correctly with a balloon as Sandisc Cruzer USB Drive. A few seconds later, another balloon indicated "...there may be a malfunction in a piece of hardware that was connected." The laptop was unable to display the drive or its contents.

Wheter it matters or not, the OS for the laptop us Windows XP Professional 2002.

Thanks
Sans SanDisc in St. Louis (SSSTL)