Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I don't even know where to post this

• Please log in to reply

abschick

abschick

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I have been having this problems with my computer screen lately. My computer screen started shaking. It makes everything on the screen blurry.
Another problem that I have with my computer is that my computer will freeze up periodically. For example, when I am typing some words on my email. I can keep typing but nothing will appear on my screen. I will lose my mouse and my keyboard. After a few seconds later, the stuff that I type in on the keyboard will appear. So it is like a delay on my computer and it is actually freezing up.
My computer guy keeps telling me that I have to look at the background file that is attached to my computer. I don't know what that means. I usually do not play music when I type since I used to do that and my computer crashed a lot.
Please let me know what I can do to fix these two problems. I will sure appreciate.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

Provide processor info (hold Windows logo key, and hit Pause/Break key to find out).

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
To solve the delay in your text or curser, etc. You can try doing this: Start--Control Panel--Display-- Appearance tab--Effects. From there, look for this: "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen font." If the box is checked, uncheck it. This will not make your fonts as smooth, but it will stop the computer and graphics card from processing as much info because the cleartype and standard methods of smoothing actually make the fonts more complex, thus making it take longer to process them. I have had that problem and it has solved the delayed text and mouse. I hope this helps!

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

To solve the delay in your text or curser, etc. You can try doing this: Start--Control Panel--Display-- Appearance tab--Effects. From there, look for this: "Use the following method to smooth edges of screen font." If the box is checked, uncheck it. This will not make your fonts as smooth, but it will stop the computer and graphics card from processing as much info because the cleartype and standard methods of smoothing actually make the fonts more complex, thus making it take longer to process them. I have had that problem and it has solved the delayed text and mouse. I hope this helps!

I have just changed the settings. Do you think the this delay of text also causing problems in my "shaking screen"? I hope this will help. I just had my screen freezed up a few times today now so not sure if it is just a typing delay or it is the screen freezing up. Thanks for your help!

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Hmm. Can you describe the shaking a little more? Is it sort of flickering or is it actually shaking? Also, what type of mouse are you using? Ex. "ball mouse", or "laser mouse". If you're using a "Ball" mouse try cleaning it out. You might also be better off getting an new mouse if you're using one of those. Now, another thing you may try for the screen freezing up is this: Start--right click My Computer--Advanced tab-- Performance Settings. (Settings in the performance box). When you are there, Look for the four option circles. If it's not already on this, choose "Adjust for best performance." This will help with the screen freezes. I'm sorry to take away all of the visual effects of windows xp, but it might make your experience better simply because you can read it. Just give me a little more info on your screen "shaking" and maybe I can help you there.

I hope this helps even more!

Edited by mattnanokid, 11 April 2010 - 07:55 PM.

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Hmm. Can you describe the shaking a little more? Is it sort of flickering or is it actually shaking? Also, what type of mouse are you using? Ex. "ball mouse", or "laser mouse". If you're using a "Ball" mouse try cleaning it out. You might also be better off getting an new mouse if you're using one of those. Now, another thing you may try for the screen freezing up is this: Start--right click My Computer--Advanced tab-- Performance Settings. (Settings in the performance box). When you are there, Look for the four option circles. If it's not already on this, choose "Adjust for best performance." This will help with the screen freezes. I'm sorry to take away all of the visual effects of windows xp, but it might make your experience better simply because you can read it. Just give me a little more info on your screen "shaking" and maybe I can help you there.

I hope this helps even more!

It is not really flickering. It is more like shaking from side to side. I will get sick after looking at my screen for a while. I use the ball mouse. I will try to clean it out tomorrow to see if it will help. The freezing up part is getting worst now. Not only when I type, it freezes up. It also freezes up when I click on a website or link. It is just a disaster. I don't know what is going on with my computer.
This computer is an old Gateway. I got it like in 2000 and my computer guy added more memory to it and probably changed the motherboard. Not sure what exactly he did. My computer crashed a few times before and I just let him fixed it for that problem. He reloaded everything back to the computer and now, it is freezing up.
I just feel like getting rid of it now!

Tpneer2

Tpneer2

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
this sounds more like 2 things I have run across before
the first is a video virus that causes the screen to literally shake.
i will have to go look nd find the exact name of the file cuz it will be buried and most scanners will not see it nor remove it, it takes the original uninstaller to do this
The freezine can usually be trace dto a few things andhte fitrs tthat comes to ind is lack of RAM availible tothe system how much RAM do you have

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
abschick, I'm sorry to keep you waiting for an answer, but as you are fighting this problem, I'm experimenting. But anyway, I agree with the post above. This is sort of what I was thinking considering the circumstances. Alright, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with your graphics card & your ram. Especially since you are using an older computer. When you said you had somebody put new things in, it could have had a problem there, since some things might not go together. If you're using an older computer (which I also have. Its the one I'm experimenting with.) It's not uncommon to see some glitches such as freezing or crashing. As for your shaking, you may have a problem with your graphics card. Right now I'm on my Windows 7 PC, but I'll get back to you sometime tonight. Thanks for your patience!

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

abschick, I'm sorry to keep you waiting for an answer, but as you are fighting this problem, I'm experimenting. But anyway, I agree with the post above. This is sort of what I was thinking considering the circumstances. Alright, I'm pretty sure it's a problem with your graphics card & your ram. Especially since you are using an older computer. When you said you had somebody put new things in, it could have had a problem there, since some things might not go together. If you're using an older computer (which I also have. Its the one I'm experimenting with.) It's not uncommon to see some glitches such as freezing or crashing. As for your shaking, you may have a problem with your graphics card. Right now I'm on my Windows 7 PC, but I'll get back to you sometime tonight. Thanks for your patience!

Thank you so much for your help. I am still waiting for my computer guy to pick up my computer and fix it. I have window XP. I am hesitate to get window 7 because there might be problems anytime when I download sometime. My computer seems to be so sensitive. What drives me crazy is that this computer usually runs fine in the first few minutes after I turn it on. After I surf the web for a while, it starts acting up. Screen starts shaking and it freezes up. I don't know if my computer guy will see the problem if he does not plan on using my computer to surf the web.
I hope you can find a way to fix your computer. I actually have 2 computers and 1 laptop. I can easily dump this problem computer and move on with my life but I can't. The reason for that is I spent $400 to upgrade my computer and I think it is never a good idea to upgrade an old computer. It was working fine for a year and started acting up. I really don't want to throw $400 into the dumpster!!!! I wish I could just sell my computer and get rid of the problem!

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,526 posts
You need to get the info that Broni asked for in post 2.

Then, go to safe mode with networking. That is start tapping F8 on boot up.
Does the problem happen in safe mode?

Are we talking about a desktop or the laptop?

123runner

Advertisements

mattnanokid

mattnanokid

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
I think this will be a big help. So, Lets try it. What you'll be doing is updating the graphics and monitor drivers for your computer.A driver tells the computer what the hardware is doing. Sometimes manufacturers will give updates to drivers so that it will work better with your computer. Now, what you'll need to do is this: Go to control panel (make sure its on classic view). Click System--Hardware tab--Click Device Manager. Once up, Look for a display adaptor or graphics card. Click the plus button next to it. If there's a graphics card there, click on it. NExt, go to driver tab. Click update driver. Now follow instructions on the wizard. This may or may not work. If it doesn't we'll have to keep trying to get something else. Or, You may try doing the same thing with your monitor. Just look for monitors, and then click your monitor. Follow the above steps and hopefully this will solve your problem.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

...been waiting patiently here...LOL

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

this sounds more like 2 things I have run across before
the first is a video virus that causes the screen to literally shake.
i will have to go look nd find the exact name of the file cuz it will be buried and most scanners will not see it nor remove it, it takes the original uninstaller to do this
The freezine can usually be trace dto a few things andhte fitrs tthat comes to ind is lack of RAM availible tothe system how much RAM do you have

I just checked my RAM under "system properties"(is it where I can find how many RAM I have?) Anyway, it said, like this under the "General tab":
System: Microsoft Windows XP, Professional Verson 2001, service pack 2.
Computer: Intel ® Celeron ® CPU
[email protected]
2.00 GHz, 960 MB of RAM.
Does this help you understanding how much RAM I have on my computer?

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

I think this will be a big help. So, Lets try it. What you'll be doing is updating the graphics and monitor drivers for your computer.A driver tells the computer what the hardware is doing. Sometimes manufacturers will give updates to drivers so that it will work better with your computer. Now, what you'll need to do is this: Go to control panel (make sure its on classic view). Click System--Hardware tab--Click Device Manager. Once up, Look for a display adaptor or graphics card. Click the plus button next to it. If there's a graphics card there, click on it. NExt, go to driver tab. Click update driver. Now follow instructions on the wizard. This may or may not work. If it doesn't we'll have to keep trying to get something else. Or, You may try doing the same thing with your monitor. Just look for monitors, and then click your monitor. Follow the above steps and hopefully this will solve your problem.

I followed your instruction on updating the Graphic card. My graphic card is NVIDIA GeForce 7100/NVIDIA nForce 630i. Do you think the card is too old?
My monitor is a brand new Dell so I don't think I will need any update on it.

abschick

abschick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Then, go to safe mode with networking. That is start tapping F8 on boot up.
Does the problem happen in safe mode?

Are we talking about a desktop or the laptop?

123runner

is it safe to download that FAN thing???
I just don't want to add more junk to my computer.
Thanks,