Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Longer Genuine copy of VISTA - ?

• Please log in to reply

Diemand

Diemand

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi,

I see other messages from members who report receiving 'Not A Genuine Copy' alerts and I have this problem too.

My son's system was doing fine for 1-2 years, received updates, etc.

Recently he hasn't been able to stay on the internet for long nor could he/we download help software to check for the problem. I figured some bug. In trying to 'fix' the temporary internet problem, we are now unable to boot up and get the 'Not Genuine' alert and 'black screen'.

I took the console into a local repair place and $50.00 later I am told my problem is my copy isn't genuine and that Windows recently came out with an update to catch copies like this!!? Is this true?

I tried looking up the latest update for Vista and nothing like this popped out. What am I missing?

I am now looking for the CD that came with the system to try and boot it up that way...until I find it, I'm quite frustrated.

Has anyone had a similar experience? Is there Malware out there and can 'remove' keys or authentication codes? I'm a noob so please excuse if I am using the wrong lingo. Thanks for reading.

Advertisements

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
How to resolve a Windows Genuine Advantage product key or volume license key validation issue
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932300

Diemand

Diemand

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Doc....Checking now....

FNP

FNP

• PipPipPip
  • 606 posts
I knew there was an issue for 7... didn't know if Vista had the same problem. Couldn't find that article last night- thanks Doc. :)

SpywareDr

SpywareDr

Member 3k

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,996 posts
You're welcome. :)