Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External hard drive broken

• Please log in to reply

bobbiev

bobbiev

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Windows crashed on me while copying files from a USB hard drive. On reboot, the drive connected but as a "local disc" rather than external. And no files are shown. Windows correctly identifies the amount of space taken up by the files which were on the drive. Mounting it under Linux gives the same result.

It seems to me this is a problem with a corrupted MBR. Am I correct? Is there a way to fix it?

Thanks!

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Welcome to Geeks to Go!

"safely" disconnecting the drive from the PC using the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon, and also unplug the drive from the mains (unless it's a portable, usb-powered type).

Now shut down the PC.

Reconnect the drive to the mains (if applicable), and to the PC.

Restart the PC.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 April 2010 - 08:15 AM.

bobbiev

bobbiev

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks. Done all those, unfortunately, but no joy

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
My guess is the drive has failed, but you can test it with the manufacturer's own diagnstic tool (has to be the Windows version though, since the DOS version won't be able to detect USB devices).