Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

page not found

• Please log in to reply

DAGLAW

DAGLAW

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
Hello

My problem is I am unable to load my homepage, when attempting to access the Internet. What I see is the homepage trying to load. But after about 15 seconds I get a message that it is 'done'. However, the homepage didn't load.

Also, I would like to add I ran a program called CWS Shredder and it removed CWS.Msconfig.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by DAGLAW, 10 April 2010 - 08:03 AM.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you should edit your post and remove the logs...they are only allowed to be posted in the malware removal forum

Please go to Malware and Spyware Cleaning Guide...
HERE....

That will help you clean up 80 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty (and you may not be) follow the instructions and start a new topic
here
post the OTListIt2 and Rooter logs ...
The "Topic Title" should contain the name of the infection that you are having a problem with...Use the "Topic Description" to include more details. This will help you get faster responses as some people are more familiar with certain infections....

if you are unable to download or run ANY of the tools...try downloading them on another computer and put them on a flash drive or cd and try installing them that way..
no joy...
start a new topic and let them know you can't run any of the tools..

DAGLAW

DAGLAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks Happyrock!

Logs removed. Sorry for the mistake.

Will do as you say.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
if your still having issues after you get a all cleaned from the malware pros...post back here and we will help fix whatever is wrong... :)

DAGLAW

DAGLAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Happyrock, thank you so much for checking on how I am doing. Really means a lot.

Yes, I have done all of the tests. Mbam, TFC, OTL, and gmer. I am still having issues. I cannot get online. I can dial up ok. But my homepage does not load.

I posted the OTL and gmer logs to the link you provided this morning. Title is 'unable to load homepage'.

I read a couple of posts concerning people having problems with IE 6, relative to not being able to get online.

I am not running IE 6, but it is on my computer, however. Firefox is the browser I use. Now, just so I understand, can I still have problems with IE 6 affecting computer processes, even if I am not using it? Do I still have to update IE even if I am not using it? I have heard so many problems with IE, I refuse to use it. And I think once IE is on the computer, the user can't get rid of it, even if they wanted to do so.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts

Do I still have to update IE even if I am not using it? I have heard so many problems with IE, I refuse to use it.

even though you don't use IE you should keep it updated because the way you get windows updates is thru IE...
you do not have to update to IE 7 though

And I think once IE is on the computer, the user can't get rid of it,

correct...IE is a part of the windows program itself and can not be removed

DAGLAW

DAGLAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Happyrock, I just posted the message below for Dan who is another tech here.

Post to Dan follows:

I was having trouble getting on the Internet, just as many of the others who have posted this same problem. I could dial up ok, but every time I attempted to access the Internet, I received a message 'page not found' or 'done' but my homepage was not able to load.

Sometime ago, I recall the firewall program ZoneAlarm somehow was preventing people from accessing the Internet. If I remember correctly, there was a 'KB' submitted by Microsoft.com for a fix.

Well, anyway, this morning I had the idea to uninstall ZoneAlarm from my system to see if that would help. It was the ZoneAlarm free addition. I forgot to note the version.

And maybe because I kept putting off updating ZoneAlarm that could have been the cause of my problem of not being able to get on the Internet.

Bottom line: I am online with the machine I have had this trouble and posted as much on this site. So, it may be a good idea to possibly see if the person you are working with has ZoneAlarm (free version). And whether they have updated or not, or free edition or not, uninstalling ZoneAlarm may be the ticket.

Please pass this information forward to other Techs who are helping people with this problem. Maybe uninstalling Zonealarm and I can just happen to get on the Internet was a fluke, some kind of coincidence. But I don't think so, given ZoneAlarm's history.

Zone Alarm (free addition) is on my laptop also. And don't you know it just started with the same problem this morning of not enabling me Internet access. It is almost as though the program has a clock in it that will eventually render the computer unable to access the Internet.

I will uninstall Zonealarm from it also and let you know the results.

I will come back here in a day or so and let you know if I am still able to get online with both machines.

For those who are having this problem and the Tech agrees for you to uninstall ZoneAlarm, please come back here and let everyone know doing so has resulted in you also being able to get online.

I certainly hope this will be the case for you, as it has been for me. :)

Gosh! I hope I don't get off here and can't access the Internet again.

Later.

DAGLAW

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you still should be checked by the malware guys because you were infected with coolwebsearch

DAGLAW

DAGLAW

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Happyrock, yes I was infected with CoolWebSearch. Actually, I had forgotten about that. Thanks for reminding me.

But I did use CWShredder to remove it.

Are you saying once it has been removed, maybe some of it that may remain can still be a problem?

I will update IE 6. Thanks for the bit of information.

Would you please tell me of a good, free firewall program, other than zonealarm. And, possibly, the link for it? Appreciate

I looked at the free firewall program Comodo. But it comes with an anti-virus program. I am running Avast and happy with it. So, I didn't want to install another anti-virus program and cause possible conflicts.

What about the free Outpost firewall? Have you heard of that one? Would you recommend it?

Well, I am still up and running on the PC I uninstalled Zonealarm. Guess I am alright now and this was not some fluke to be able to get back on the Internet.

And as soon as I get off here, I am going to load a DVD and see if I can hear it. Before, I couldn't. Maybe zonealarm affected my sound as well.

I am not putting down zonealarm. It is a very good program. I would just prefer to switch to something else.

Thanks again.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I still recommend you have the malware guys check you out...CWS is a old and well know piece of malware and shouldn't have been able to install itself...makes me thing your malware tools me be suspect...

Outpost is supposed to be a good firewall but I have no personal experience with it...they ALL have to be trained or as you experienced you can have issues