Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Power Options Disabled

• Please log in to reply

Mosschops

Mosschops

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Geekstogo members. :)

Hopefully you can help me with a small problem I have with my Acer 3690 laptop (XP Media Centre).

A few weeks ago my screen kept on going to sleep as though the Power Options had been adjusted to sleep after only 30 seconds inactivity. This is really annoying as I can no longer watch DVDs due to this problem.

To make matters worse the Power options in Control Panel have some how been disabled. Double clicking them fails to open the Power Options window. this seems to be the only thing disabled in the Control Panel.

My laptop only has one user account (Admin) but making another user account with Admin privs still results in the same issue.

Is there a specific registry key I can export to check for any incorrectly set policies?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :)

Advertisements

phillipcorcoran

phillipcorcoran

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,293 posts
Acer usually pre-installs it's own Power Settings applet and this can sometimes interfere with the standard Windows Power Options. I know other Acer owners have uninstalled the Acer Power Management (in Add/Remove Programs) and it solved the problem for them.

It seems silly to me for Acer to put a utility on a PC when Windows already has it already built-in to do the same thing. It's just using up disk space unnecessarily.

I think Acer call theirs ePower Management or something like that. I took it off my laptop to save disk space, along with a load of other Acer stuff that I never use.

Edited by phillipcorcoran, 10 April 2010 - 02:34 PM.

Mosschops

Mosschops

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks Phillip, removing that software resolved the issue. :)